brewinstallbuzzwords

brewinstallbuzzwords

Hi everyone,

I’m working on a small Elixir project that needs to include a text file as a resource. I found on some other posts that this file should exist in the project’s /priv directory and that I should get the path to priv like this: :code.priv_dir(:my_project), and then add the file name to the end using Path.join/2.

This is working fine, but what’s confusing to me is that this seems to be leveraging Erlang functions.

When I run h :code in iex I can see that it represents the Erlang code server, which led me to find this page in the Erlang docs: code — OTP 29.0.2 (kernel 11.0.2)

There, I was able to find the documentation for priv_dir/1 that I had been struggling to find on hexdocs.

So here’s my question:

Is this the generally accepted way to load a static asset in Elixir? Are there any functions in Elixir that do the same thing, but don’t require making calls to :code? Are there any other functionalities in Elixir that require making calls to Erlang functionality?

Showing Posts 1 to 2

al2o3cr

al2o3cr

There’s not a strong boundary between “Elixir stuff” and “Erlang stuff” - they both ultimately run on the BEAM, and Elixir uses a lot of Erlang functionality with only a thin wrapper on top; for instance, many of the functions in the Elixir Map module mostly exist to make the underlying Erlang functions play nice with |>:

https://github.com/elixir-lang/elixir/blob/33f9d04851a2664aeae5f5f78eeef9e5b4c38030/lib/elixir/lib/map.ex#L236-L237

Historically, it’s been much harder to use Elixir code from Erlang than the other way around, so libraries that need to function in both contexts tend to be written in Erlang. IIRC that is changing nowadays with work being done to bring Hex and rebar closer together.

mpope

mpope

I believe you can use Application.app_dir/2 and point the second argument to the "/priv/..." file you want to access. I don’t think there is anything wrong with using :code.priv_dir/1 directly though.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews