sodapopcan
To get to the crux of this question right away: Does LiveView always do a first render without any assigns?
So I’m using a struct as one of my assigns. Imagine I’m the url being something like https://mydomain.com/some_id:
defmodule MyAppWeb.HomeLive do
use MyAppWeb, :live_view
@default_assigns [
record: nil, # The default here will never be used, hence `nil`. I tried giving it a default and it doesn't solve my problem.
another_key: "that has a dynamic value but needs a default"
]
def mount(%{"record_id" => record_id}, _session, socket) do
record = Records.find_record(record_id)
{:ok, assign(socket, @default_assigns |> Keyword.replace!(:record, record))}
end
end
Then in my template:
<div><%= @record.some_key %></div>
No matter what, even though my page loads seemingly without a hitch, I always get an error that “nil.some_key is not a function”.
I can, of course, fix this with:
<div<%= @record && @record.some_key %></div>
but I’m confused about the lifecycle here… does the template always render once without been passed any assigns? OR am I just doing something completely wrong?
Thanks!
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex











Showing Posts 1 to 5- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
hectorsq
Hi,
The first param for assign should be a socket.
{:ok, assign(socket, @default_assigns |> Keyword.replace!(:record, record))}ityonemo
It’s been a few months, but IIRC the liveview lifecycle is as such:
However, with the code you have here, it seems like it should always get something out of the find_record.
I’m not sure about your assign function call. unless am I wrong, that you’re supposed to call
assign(socket, key, value)and it will put it in the right place in thesocket.assignfield. I would drop IO.inspects afterRecords.find_record(...)and after theassigns(...)call to check up on what datastructures are being pushed around. If you use VScode this could help:https://slickb.it/bits/70
sodapopcan
Sorry, that was a typo! I’m properly calling
assign(socket, ...)in my actual code.hectorsq
You also defined @defaul_assigns (missing t) and are using @default_assigns
No, the first render uses the data in assigns that is initialized in mount
sodapopcan
Thank you both for your responses. I realize it’s because I’m doing something pretty cavalier that isn’t well represented in my sample code. It’s because my route matches on any root path, so
/:record_id. This of course means that requests forfavicon.icois matching