Yama

Yama

I’ve been trying to connect React to my Phoenix project but continue to get an error. The error says

Error in ./assets/js/app.jsx
Module build failed (from ./node_modules/babel-loader/lib/index.js);
SyntaxError: path -> app.jsx

const HelloReact = () => {
  return <div>Hello World</div>;
}

error points to < in

I feel like this may be a babel problem. I decided to move package.json, webpack.config.js and .babelrc to the top level due to a recommended approach on a guide I was following. Was hoping to get a second look at eyes with how I’ve configured my React. Thank you for all the help.

My .babelrc looks like

{
"presets": ["@babel/preset-env", "@babel/preset-react"],
"plugins": ["@babel/plugin-proposal-class-properties", "@babel/plugin-proposal-object-rest-spread"]
}

As for my config file

module.exports = (env, options) => ({
 optimization: {
  minimizer: [
   new UglifyJSPlugin({ cache: true parallel: true, sourceMap: false }),
   new OptimizeCSSAssetsPlugin({})
  ]
 },
entry: {
  app: "./assets/js/app.jsx"
},
output: {
  filename: "app.js",
  path: path.resolve(__dirname, "priv/static/js")
},
module: {
  rules: [
   {
     test: /\.(js|jsx)$/,
     exclude: /node_modules/,
     use: {
       loader: "babel-loader"
     }
  },
  {
    test: /\.css$/,
    use: [MiniCSSExtractPlugin.loader, "css-loader"]
  }
 ]
},
plugins: [
   new MiniCssExtractPlugin({ filename: "../css/app.css"}),
   new CopyWebpackPlugin([{ from: "assets/static/", to: "../" }])
],
resolve: {
  extensions: ["*", ".js", ".jsx"]
}
});

Showing Posts 1 to 10

lucaong

lucaong

Most likely a Babel problem indeed, as it seems it’s not transpiling JSX to JS.

The Babel configuration is always giving me headaches, and right now I am not really sure, but isn’t babel.config.js supposed to replace .babelrc? If I am right about that, your babel.config.js will take precedence, and it does not include necessary presets like @babel/preset-react. That might be what causes JSX not to be transpiled.

wolfiton

wolfiton

If you are new to react use the creat react app it works with npx and the guide can be found here.

https://facebook.github.io/create-react-app/docs/getting-started

Also this is very important https://reactjs.org/blog/2018/10/01/create-react-app-v2.html

kokolegorille

kokolegorille

const HelloReact = () => {
  return <div>Hello World</div>;
}

Is that your file?

I think You miss this…

import React from 'react';

Even if it is not visible, You need to import React before using this code

<div>...</div>

because it uses React.createElement() under the hood

wolfiton

wolfiton

Also can you post your package.json file to see what packages you installed?

wolfiton

wolfiton

Also this tutorial should offer you a complete introduction to react and babel config the right way.

https://www.valentinog.com/blog/babel/

Yama

Yama OP

Hm I’ve been trying to look into babel.config.js and it doesn’t seem to be a requirement. I may be wrong but thank you for replying. Will continue to look about both files.

Yama

Yama OP

Thank you for replying. Actually, it isn’t my first time using React but every time I try to use it for a project, the initial setup is usually a headache when it comes to webpack. Thank you for providing those linkes. I will take a look especially the tutorial I hope will point me in the right direction. As for the packages I installed, it’s

{
  "repository": {},
  "license": "MIT",
  "scripts": {
    "deploy": "webpack --mode production",
    "watch": "webpack --mode development --watch"
  },
  "dependencies": {
    "@babel/plugin-proposal-class-properties": "^7.5.0",
    "@babel/plugin-proposal-object-rest-spread": "^7.5.4",
    "phoenix": "file:deps/phoenix",
    "phoenix_html": "file:deps/phoenix_html",
    "react-router-dom": "^5.0.1"
  },
  "devDependencies": {
    "@babel/core": "^7.5.4",
    "@babel/preset-env": "^7.5.4",
    "@babel/preset-react": "^7.0.0",
    "babel-loader": "^8.0.6",
    "copy-webpack-plugin": "^4.5.0",
    "css-loader": "^2.1.1",
    "mini-css-extract-plugin": "^0.4.0",
    "optimize-css-assets-webpack-plugin": "^5.0.3",
    "react": "^16.8.6",
    "react-dom": "^16.8.6",
    "uglifyjs-webpack-plugin": "^1.2.4",
    "webpack": "4.28.4",
    "webpack-cli": "^3.3.5"
  }
}
Yama

Yama OP

I apologize for not copying the code exactly as what I wrote. That is my part that has mislead you. The entire file looks like this

import css from "../css/app.css";
import "phoenix_html";
import React from "react";

import ReactDOM from "react-dom";

console.log("I'm getting hit");

const HelloReact = () => {

return <h1>Hello React!</h1>;

};

const root = document.getElementById("root");

ReactDOM.render(<HelloReact />, root);
krstfk

krstfk

I may be wrong, but isn’t the return block supposed to be wrapped with parens ie :

return (<div>Hello react</div>);

?

kokolegorille

kokolegorille

Ok You do import React…

This is how I did for a babel 7.4.3 and React 16.8

I use a babel.config.js with this inside

module.exports = api => {
  api.cache(true);

  const presets = [
    [
      "@babel/preset-env",
      {
        targets: {
          edge: "17",
          firefox: "60",
          chrome: "67",
          safari: "11.1",
        },
        useBuiltIns: "usage",
        corejs: '3.0.0',
      },
      "@babel/preset-react",
    ],
  ];
  
  const plugins = [

  ];

  return {
    presets,
    plugins
  };
}

I think I got this config on the babel site.

You may adapt for your usage.

In webpack.config.js, I have

      {
        test: /\.jsx?$/,
        include: SRC_PATH,
        exclude: /node_modules/,
        loader: 'babel-loader',
        options: {
          rootMode: "upward",
        },
      },

BTW, as a minor note… I put react, react-dom in dependencies, and all @babel… in devDependencies

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews