carlosarli

carlosarli

Hello everyone,
I have the following models and changesets for users and addresses:
user.ex

schema "users" do
        field :title, :string
        field :f_name, :string
        field :l_name, :string
        field :DOB, :date
        field :email, :string
        field :username, :string
        field :password, :string, virtual: true
        field :password_confirmation, :string, virtual: true
        field :password_hash, :string
        field :image, Assistant.Image.Type

        #associations
        has_one :addresses, Assistant.Web.Address
        has_many :appointment, Assistant.Web.Appointment
        belongs_to :role, Assistant.Web.Role

        timestamps()
    end

    #checks the changeset of the controller to see whether the input matches the rules I set here
    def changeset(model, params \\ :invalid) do
        model
        |> cast(params, ~w(title f_name l_name DOB email username role_id))
        |> cast_attachments(params, [:image])
        |> validate_required([:title, :f_name, :l_name, :DOB, :email, :username, :role_id, :image])
        |> validate_length(:username, min: 2, max: 20)
        |> unique_constraint(:username)
        |> assoc_constraint(:role)
        |> cast_assoc(:addresses, required: true)
    end

Address.ex

schema "addresses" do
        field :house_n, :integer
        field :address_1, :string
        field :address_2, :string
        field :post_code, :string
        field :city, :string
        field :county, :string
        field :country, :string

        belongs_to :user, Assistant.Web.User, foreign_key: :user_id

        timestamps()
    end

      @doc """
      Builds a changeset based on the `struct` and `params`.
      """
    def changeset(struct, params \\ %{}) do
        struct
        |> cast(params, [:house_n, :address_1, :address_2, :post_code, :city, :county, :country])
        |> validate_required([:house_n, :address_1, :address_2, :post_code, :city, :county, :country])
    end

When I try to delete a new user I have created it gives me this error:
constraint error when attempting to delete struct:

  • foreign_key: addresses_user_id_fkey

I have searched through the forum and on stack overflow and the solution seems to be to add the foreign_key_constraint(), but I am not exactly clear on how to go on about it as I have tried following the suggestions, but so far I keep getting the same error. Has it got anything to do with the cast_assoc()? I’ve got that from the book programming phoenix but online I found varying opinions on it so I thought maybe that could be the issue.

Thank you for your help :slight_smile:

Showing Posts 1 to 4

kokolegorille

kokolegorille

Maybe You could set the on_delete option between user and its addresses association.

By default, it will do nothing… Thus I think it is why You get this error.

For this to work, You could look at

https://hexdocs.pm/ecto/Ecto.Migration.html#references/2

and

This would be in your addresses migration

add :user_id, references("users"), on_delete: :delete_all

and in the schema

has_one :addresses, Assistant.Web.Address, on_delete: :delete_all

It is not tested, but it might help…

carlosarli

carlosarli OP

Thanks for your reply :slight_smile:
I would also delete the cast_assoc from the changeset right?

carlosarli

carlosarli OP

It works!! it was the on_delete thing thank you :slight_smile:

kokolegorille

kokolegorille

Glad it works :slight_smile:

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews