bokner

bokner

Hello everyone,

For the last few months, I’ve been working on Solverl, Erlang/Elixir interface to MiniZinc and a supplemental project, SolverView,
which is a web application based on Phoenix/LiveView.

MiniZinc is a generic framework for solving optimization problems typical for Operations Research.
IBM CPLEX,
Google OR-Tools and many other popular OR products have an interface to MiniZinc.

So having Elixir interface to MiniZinc opens up a gateway to industrial-strength optimization tools.

But there is more. Currently, MiniZinc team hosts MiniZinc Python project, the idea is to assist
the solving of complex OR problems through incremental solving techniques driven by the Python code .

Spending quite a bit of time with MiniZinc Python, I’m confident that the similar Elixir-based product will be a much better option. This is mainly due to better asynchronicity/concurrency support.

Solverl already matches the most significant features of MiniZinc Python, and some Solverl features are not available in MiniZinc Python.

SolverView was started as a set of examples that visualize the solving process using Phoenix/LiveView.

You can try it by using Docker image:

docker run -p 4000:4000 bokner/solverview

I have several plans for extending it, one is to build Web IDE for MiniZinc,
with pluggable Elixir components for visualization, post-processing of solutions etc.

I’m very new to Phoenix/LiveView, and web design is not my thing yet, so any advice and/or contribution would help tremendously.
In particular, if anyone is willing to help with Web IDE pages, please let me know.

Showing Posts 5 to 1

braindeaf

braindeaf

Wonderful. Despite being a relative veteran I’m finding constraint solving in itself quite mind bending and difficult to explain the process to colleagues given that it’s new to me, so finding a way of focusing in on how to document and solve the problems we’re working on is pretty challenging. Not to mention the multitude of examples in Python which then add their own flavour of unfamiliar (to me) syntax. Thanks for your work on this.

bokner

bokner OP

OR-Tools can be configured as a MiniZinc solver. One of the nice things about MiniZinc is that one can try the same model with different solvers.

braindeaf

braindeaf

Just seen this. I’ve been working with constraint solving with OR-Tools in Ruby and never heard of MiniZinc which seems quite interesting in itself. So this is nice thing to start working on in the morning.

bokner

bokner OP

Thank you! Normally, I’m not that thorough with documenting. In this case though, I was motivated by minizinc-python docs, and desire to make Elixir counterpart better :slight_smile:

I only came to Constraint Programming recently as part of my math program studies. It’s very addictive, especially if blended with coding.

elcritch

elcritch

The readme for solverl seems impressively thorough! I currently don’t have a use for constraint programming, but kinda wish I did. :slight_smile: LiveVue is perfect for this sort of program.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Discussions Top

budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
axelson
Hi there! :wave: @frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
juhalehtonen
There has been a thread to discuss the Stack Overflow Developer Survey on this forum every year since 2018, so here’s yet another one for...
New
achempion
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New
jtormey
Lately I’ve been thinking about how to organize components as a LiveView application grows. One of the pain points I’ve found (for myself...
New
Null-logic-0
What IDE or editor are you using for Elixir development? Personally, I use Zed, and I really like it, but sometimes I wish there were a ...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
ausimian
Emily is an Elixir library that runs Nx computations on Apple’s MLX. Install it as the default Nx backend and Nx, defn, Axon, Nx.Serving,...
New
OndrejValenta
(I just needed to vent somewhere and LinkedIn is full of hope, or hype, I’m not sure which exactly) AI dream has many faces, but general...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews