spacebat

spacebat

I’m writing module that will accept a function name and arguments looking like foo(bar, baz) - as Kernel.def/2 does but without a body, and given M is known at compile time I want it to expand to:

def foo(bar, baz), do: M.foo(bar, baz)

I can see how to do this by manipulating the AST. The :foo in:
{:foo, [], [{:bar, [], Elixir}, {:baz, [], Elixir}]} # => foo(bar, baz)
…becomes…
{:., [], [{:__aliases__, [alias: false], [:M]}, :foo]}

In Lisp you’d be able to do something like this using the quote/unquote forms - is it possible in Elixir?

PS. I don’t think defdelegate is right for this as the function body generated by the macro may be more complicated - this is just the part I couldn’t see a nice approach for.

Showing Posts 1 to 1

kip

kip

ex_cldr Core Team

Yes, very similar to lisp.

defmacro mydef(fun, args) do
  quote do
    def unquote(fun)(unquote(args)) do
      MyModule.unquote(fun)(unquote(args))
    end
  end
end

This is an overly simplistic implementation but it might be enough for your needs.

Take a look at the implementation of the defdelegate macro and you’ll see it’s basically doing the same thing as the code above - only more generalised.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews