moxley
In my resource, there is an attribute called component, backed by a JSONB column. I’d like to expose that attribute as a JSON field in AshGraphql, but I want to modify it first (converting keys from underscore_case keys to camelCase). Is there a way to modify it?
The attribute’s type is currently a custom Ash.Type module. I couldn’t figure out how to affect the GraphQL response with the callback functions within it (e.g., cast_input(), cast_stored(), dump_to_native()). It seems the callbacks only affect the interaction with the data layer, and input casting.
I notice there’s a modify_resolution DSL function available for the graphql DSL, but that’s defined at the query level, not at the field (resource) level, which is what I need.
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Hello folks!
So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #security
- #metaprogramming










Showing Posts 1 to 6- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
zachdaniel
This is an interesting question
So, it is possible to make this work that we will need to add a new callback to
AshGraphql.Type, and have you define a custom type and use that new callback, something likedef to_graphql_value(constraints), ....However, depending on what you are doing, we may be able to avoid the need for that.
If the keys are known statically, you could potentially do something like this:
But otherwise I think we will need to add some logic to our gql building to modify the resolution of individual fields with custom types. It is likely not a super complicated operation.
There are also ways you can do it in the short term, like making a calculation with a name like
camelized_thing, and using configurations likehide_fieldsandattribute_namesin your resource to hide one attribute and rendercamelized_thingas justthingin the GraphQL.zachdaniel
If the map type w/ static keys won’t work for you then we will probably need to add that new feature so you don’t need to jump through the field remapping hoops. I’d be happy to guide you through adding it, or try to get to it soon/see if someone else has time in the next few days to add it.
moxley
The keys are known statically for attribute in question’s map value, but there are child maps inside that are not static. Such as:
So above,
idandfieldkeys are known statically, but the keys infieldare not.How does defining a module that uses
Ash.Type.NewTypeenable me to control what’s in the JSON data?moxley
I’ll look into creating a calculation like
camelized_thing.moxley
I think the
camelized_componentcalculation is going to work for my needs. I was trying to make the data shape exactly like an Absinthe query that this new query is replacing, but I can manage minor incompatibilities like this.zachdaniel
You would effectively have the same problem with that nested type, and would need that same feature to control graphql representation. That is a valuable feature for us to have, so I’d like it to exist at some point, it’s just not there yet (maybe in part because calculations etc. are a workaround)