bwanab

bwanab

Hi. I’m new to elixir, so this could be obvious. I’m reading and writing to a device that uses a binary line format. The format is fixed. It also has integer fields, but they are easy to interpret. Floats and doubles are a bit harder, so I’m wondering and hoping that this is a problem that’s already been solved.

Here’s an example of what I’m looking at:

SSSSSSSSSSSSIIIIIIIIFFFFDDDDDDDD

Where S..S is a string descriptor.
IIII is an integer that I unpack with ((i1 <<< 32) + (i2 <<< 16) + (i3 <<< 8) + i4)

The ones I’m struggling with are FFFF (32 bit float) and DDDDDDDD (double prec float).

I know I can look at the IEEE-754 spec and figure this out, but I’m thinking there might be a solution already. For example in python given the FFFF, I can use struct.unpack(FFFF) to get the floating point value.

Showing Posts 1 to 7

NobbZ

NobbZ

This should totally do it for you, unless you have to deal with NaN and infinties…

iex(1)> bin = <<1.22::float>>         
<<63, 243, 133, 30, 184, 81, 235, 133>>
iex(2)> <<x :: float>> = bin
<<63, 243, 133, 30, 184, 81, 235, 133>>
iex(3)> x
1.22
iex(4)> bin = <<1.22::float-size(32)>>
<<63, 156, 40, 246>>
bwanab

bwanab OP

Thanks. That’s just what I was looking for. NaN and infinity should be caught before they get on the line, so I think we’re good.

hauleth

hauleth

Just remember that binary pattern matching also supports integers, so instead of manual addition and shifts you can do:

<<describe::binary-size(12), i1::little-integer-32, i2::little-integer-32, f1::float-32, f2::float-64>> = input

That is why I love working with binary data in Erlang. It is just so enormously easy.

bwanab

bwanab OP

Thank you very much. That’s very helpful.

ityonemo

ityonemo

probably not an issue, but if things go south don’t forget to check the endianness (there are extra decorators for that if you need it).

bwanab

bwanab OP

I figured out I needed big-integer instead of little. Is there a good list of all the decorators? I looked briefly and didn’t find one.

hauleth

hauleth

It is in docs for <<>>/1.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews