Fl4m3Ph03n1x
Challenge
I have recently changed to CodeWars to make practice my Elixir skills. To complete an exercise I need to convert seconds to compound duration. This looks complex, but in reality is something most developers did at one time or another:
Write a function or program which:
- takes a positive integer representing a duration in seconds as input (e.g.,
100), and- returns a string which shows the same duration decomposed into hours, minutes, and seconds like: “01|20|34” ( 1 hour, 20 minutes, 34 seconds ).
Each string needs to have 2 digits.
Question
I noticed that some languages like Julia already have a function that does this. I wonder if Elixir / Erlang, with so many years going on, also has one.
Does any one know of an native function that helps me accomplish this without having to reinvent the wheel all over again?
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New
Hello folks!
So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex











Showing Posts 1 to 4- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
michallepicki
I may be wrong but I thought the point of these challenges was to implement such functions. But answering your question, I would create a zero NaiveDateTime and add seconds using the
addfunction from this module.Edit: In fact you can use Time and Time.add
Fl4m3Ph03n1x
The idea of exercise is not to make a compound date. That is merely a necessary step to make the exercise, like knowing how to add to numbers in order to calculate integrals in math.
So I was hoping I could skip this with a native function and actually focus on the core of the exercise itself.
BrooklinJazz
I haven’t found a native implementation of this. But I had to do the same for my website just now.
I think you can accomplish the behavior by using rem and div.
hours = div seconds, 3600
minutes = div seconds, 60
seconds = rem seconds, 60
I haven’t comprehensively tested this to make sure there are no edge cases, but I think it should work
fchabouis
If you take 3661 seconds, that’s 1 hour, 1 minute, 1 second.
But
div seconds, 60is equal to 61.I would write :
Also, I don’t think you can use
NaiveDateTimeeasily, because you will soon get days, months and years. And if you useTime, it won’t work for durations above 24h, as you will get back to 0.