jonasbhjulstad
Hi!
I’m trying to simulate a network locally, by spawning nodes on different ports. The nodes find each other through udp-broadcasts
def listen socket, port do
local_msg = to_string(port)
receive do
{:udp, _socket, _address, port, ^local_msg} ->
IO.inspect port
IO.puts "localmsg"
listen socket, port
{:udp, _socket, address, remote_port, _msg} ->
string_address = ip_to_string(address)
IO.puts "new node added at port: #{port}"
#"OrderHandler_" <> to_string(remote_port) <> "@" <> string_address |> String.to_atom |> Node.ping
#localhost-version
"OrderHandler_" <> to_string(remote_port) <> "@localhost" |> String.to_atom |> Node.ping
end
end
The node-ids follows this format: OrderHandler_@10.0.0.68
However, when I convert the string to atom, I get :“OrderHandler_@10.0.0.68”, which does not match with the nodes atom :OrderHandler_@10.0.0.68.
How do I solve this?
Also when using
Node.start :nodename@localhost
It responds with localhost being an illegal name. Are there any solutions to this?
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI.
Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 4- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
tiagodavi
Well. I don’t know whether I understood it correctly, but I can suggest you create a list of valid atoms and then get an atom from that list instead of converting to string and vice-versa.
Does that make sense?
lucaong
If you are thinking that the extra double quotes in
:"OrderHandler_@10.0.0.68"cause it to fail the match, that’s not the problem. The double quotes are just the way the atom is printed: atom literals have to use quotes when they contain something else than unicode letters, numbers, underscores, and a few other permitted characters.Since the atom in your example contains dots, the atom literal is printed with quotes (
:OrderHandler_@10.0.0.69is not a valid atom literal). The quotes are not part of the atom though, in fact:foo == :"foo", so that is not the reason for your problem.The reason why the atom does not match is something else, not evident from the code you posted.
Also, not sure if that was your intention, but
Node.start/3does not “spawn a node”. It turns the current node from non-distributed to distributed and dynamically gives it a name. You very rarely need to call this function. Usually, you would start your nodes from the command line, specifying their name with--nameor--sname.jonasbhjulstad
Thanks for the reply, this actually solved the fully-qualified hostname problem
jonasbhjulstad
Thanks, that clarifies some things, I though that Node.start would spawn a new node, but that must mean I’ve only converted my current node to be distributed using three different names.
I was able to solve the issue by initializing three iex-interfaces using a batch-script:
And some simple cmd-commands. Startup:
Shutdown:
This feels like a nasty way of controlling my nodes for testing, but it floats my boat.