peoj
Hi all,
I have a simple GenServer that performs some initialisation on start. That initialisation process involves making some calls to an HTTP API. I have delegated the HTTP communications to a lower level module, which I then mock using Mox. All well and good.
The GenServer is in my supervision tree in a vanilla sort of way so it gets started every time I run mix test. That would be fine except the GenServer starts making calls to my mock before I’ve had a chance to specify what the response should be, and mox raises a Mox.UnexpectedCallError.
So my question is; what’s the most idiomatic way of testing this? Options I’ve considered:
- Preventing applications from being manually started by using
mix test --no-startand then manually starting the pieces I need. This is fine but the auto-start behaviour is working nicely elsewhere so would add more work. - Selectively changing which processes are started depending on environment. Again this works fine.
Something tells me there is a better way. Thanks for any help!
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI.
Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 4- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
lud
I would have a default mock in the test.exs config and let this genserver make useless calls. And to actually test the genserver I would call its functions in my test directly, not relying on the actual process that is started in the supervision tree.
peoj
That’s pretty much as far as I’ve got but since that default mock hasn’t been configured with any expectations yet I get the
Mox.UnexpectedCallErrorsituation.How do you specify your default mock?
lud
I don’t know as I have never used a mocking library in elixir yet. If you genserver receives a module then you can implement a NoopHttpClient module maybe.
peoj
As @lud suggested I’ve ended up creating a “default mock” in the form of a stub.
I followed the instructions laid out here: Understanding Elixir mocking with Mox