nesimtunc

nesimtunc

Hello,

I’ve started an open source project that helps us to avoid crowded areas if you live in a community, like a shared house or guest house, during COVID-19 pandemic.

It accounts for current number of people using shared areas or utilities in realtime. It uses Elixir + Phoenix’s Socket for realtime communication.

Currently there’s an only a web app and you need to update the counter manually. However, there’s our iOS application that we’re developing (and needs more contributors) to connect beacons and count the room usages automatically. GitHub - CoThings-App/ios: CoThings's iOS application. CoThings is a realtime counter for shared things. · GitHub

Project’s website: https://cothings.app/

GitHub Repos:

Any contributions or feedbacks are welcome!

Here’s a screenshot from the web app’s homepage. We’re currently using it in our share-house.

Thank you all!

PS: This is copy / paste post from Reddit that I’ve shared in case you came cross there don’t surprise :slight_smile:

Showing Posts 1 to 4

nesimtunc

nesimtunc OP

Now, we have an IRC channel (cothings) on freenode.net

nesimtunc

nesimtunc OP

Hey Guys!

Wanna help? Grab an issue :rocket: Issues · CoThings-App/cothings · GitHub

nesimtunc

nesimtunc OP

Now we have demo web application: Please check it out! https://cothings.app/demo/

nesimtunc

nesimtunc OP

Hi Folks!

What do you think about a global version of CoThings? It will be location based. People can manually update a place’s congestion more like:

  • Empty
  • A few people
  • Moderate
  • Busy
  • Overcapacity
  • etc.

instead of exact count.

People can see congestion of any place in realtime, anywhere in the world, mostly around their location, the city or the neighborhoods they live without exposing their privacy.

People can create places publicly, and set the status of the place like above.

With last updated time information people can judge about a place and then decide to go or not.

No tracking nor exposing user location to anywhere, anyone.

Or optionally user can let the app automatically detect the location to increase / decrease the counters while visiting places.

The reason for the Global is, there’re people that want to use the application but not all of them are engineer to run a server. So, instead of struggling with marketing etc to sell it as SaaS, I prefer to do it globally as a social responsibility project.

What do you think about this idea? Do you think it would be useful for people, will they use it?

Any problem or privacy issue, or user right violation can be a problem in the future that I don’t see it now?

I want to believe that people won’t abuse the service, writing script, playing with the counters, trying hacking. Am I too optimistic even for this kind of project which suppose to help people during this pandemic.

Let me hear you! Thanks in advance!

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Discussions Top

budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
axelson
Hi there! :wave: @frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
achempion
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
juhalehtonen
There has been a thread to discuss the Stack Overflow Developer Survey on this forum every year since 2018, so here’s yet another one for...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New
jtormey
Lately I’ve been thinking about how to organize components as a LiveView application grows. One of the pain points I’ve found (for myself...
New
Null-logic-0
What IDE or editor are you using for Elixir development? Personally, I use Zed, and I really like it, but sometimes I wish there were a ...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Dmk
Xamal is a deployment tool for Elixir apps that deploys native releases to bare metal servers over SSH. It’s a port of GitHub - basecamp/...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews