Vertigo

Vertigo

Reading/practicing through “Functional Web Development with Elixir, OTP and Phoenix”, I came across the following module definition;

defmodule IslandsEngine.Rules do
  alias __MODULE__

  defstruct state: :initialized,
            player1: :islands_not_set,
            player2: :islands_not_set

  def new(), do:
    %Rules{}

  def check(%Rules{state: :initialized} = rules, :add_player), do:
    {:ok, %Rules{rules | state: :players_set}}

  ...
end

What is the reason for the first agument’s right hand side declaration (‘= rules’) is it simply a definition of the working variable within scope ?

def check(%Rules{state: :initialized} = rules, :add_player), do:
{:ok, %Rules{rules | state: :players_set}}

Running iex -S mix I see no practical difference passing in a different ‘variable’ name or direct struct, but perhaps I am missing something obvious;

Interactive Elixir (1.7.1) - press Ctrl+C to exit (type h() ENTER for help)
iex(1)> alias IslandsEngine.Rules
IslandsEngine.Rules
iex(2)> things = Rules.new()
%IslandsEngine.Rules{
  player1: :islands_not_set,
  player2: :islands_not_set,
  state: :initialized
}
iex(3)> Rules.check(things, :add_player)
{:ok,
 %IslandsEngine.Rules{
   player1: :islands_not_set,
   player2: :islands_not_set,
   state: :players_set
 }}
iex(4)> Rules.check(%IslandsEngine.Rules{state: :initialized}, :add_player)
{:ok,
 %IslandsEngine.Rules{
   player1: :islands_not_set,
   player2: :islands_not_set,
   state: :players_set
 }}

Showing Posts 1 to 6

peerreynders

peerreynders

What is the reason for the first agument’s right hand side declaration (’= rules’) ?

rules is the same as in:

def check(rules, :add_player), do:

the difference is that

def check(%Rules{state: :initialized} = rules, :add_player), do:

adds the constraint of a pattern match.

NobbZ

NobbZ

Anything that matches the pattern %Rules{state: :initialized} will be bound to rules in the function body.

Vertigo

Vertigo OP

Thanks for replying!

I reasoned that meanwhile.., two related questions;

  • Is there strict order rules, e.g. can it also be rules = %Rules{…} instead ?
  • Why doesn’t it complain about the other two keys that are defined within the module’s struct definition?
peerreynders

peerreynders

Pattern matches on maps aren’t exact. The map can contain information in addition to the data that is matched.

peerreynders

peerreynders

  • Is there strict order rules, e.g. can it also be rules = %Rules{…} instead ?

IIRC that order will work as well.

Why doesn’t it complain about the other two keys that are defined within the module’s struct definition?

Complain about what? It’s a pattern - not a value. The pattern doesn’t care about the player1: and player2: keys and their values.

AlchemistCamp

AlchemistCamp

Yep, both orders work. Great book you’re going through, BTW!

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews