alphanumeric
Is Elixir able to power a social network messaging system with the same user volume as FB, Telegram or Whatsapp?
Trending in Discussions
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hi there! :wave:
@frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
There has been a thread to discuss the Stack Overflow Developer Survey on this forum every year since 2018, so here’s yet another one for...
New
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with.
But I don’t use it anymore.
Serverless was the promis...
New
Lately I’ve been thinking about how to organize components as a LiveView application grows. One of the pain points I’ve found (for myself...
New
What IDE or editor are you using for Elixir development?
Personally, I use Zed, and I really like it, but sometimes I wish there were a ...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New
Xamal is a deployment tool for Elixir apps that deploys native releases to bare metal servers over SSH. It’s a port of GitHub - basecamp/...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #security
- #metaprogramming










Showing Posts 1 to 10- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
John-Goff
Well considering WhatsApp is written in erlang it would certainly be doable in elixir as well, elixir and Erlang have nearly identical characteristics being based on the same VM.
dimitarvp
Elixir is amazing but Telegram has like 30 million people in it now and since Elixir isn’t exactly performance-oriented I am not sure it can handle the load without spinning a lot more servers which might not be economically viable.
At this scale you definitely should reach to something like Kafka + Rust.
alphanumeric
Are you sure Elixir can perform equally to Erlang in those use cases? I am tempted to go with Erlang to be safe, but wanted to get a more definitive answer before deciding not to use Elixir.
davearonson
Throw enough hardware at it, and sure, no problem. You might need to pull some fancy tricks to be able to take advantage of that hardware efficiently, but that sort of thing is actually one of the things that Elixir is good at, leveraging Erlang’s distributed processing, supervision trees for reliability, and so on. It might need more hardware than something programmed in raw Assembly, but probably quite a lot less than something stood up in, say, Rails.
alphanumeric
Is Elixir or Erlang a better choice to run in this use case and why??
John-Goff
It is possible to write bad elixir, just as it is possible to write bad Erlang. But all the tools that Erlang gives you are also available in elixir, so you can definitely use elixir to write anything you could write in erlang.
alphanumeric
Is there ANYTHING that would prevent Elixir from performing (this use case) as well as Erlang?
dorgan
They both compile to BEAM bytecode, and Elixir essentially evaluates to the same Erlang code, so no.
You mention Telegram, Whatsapp or FB as example of scale. Discord is using Elixir and it’s massive.
dimitarvp
No, not really. They compile to a very similar (or exactly the same) internal bytecode. Erlang IMO has no innate advantage here. That’s the whole point of the BEAM bytecode
if your compiler is good (and Elixir’s is) then you can have an identically performing code no matter the source language.
John-Goff
I might even be so bold to say that if you’re building a commercial product on the BEAM you should probably pick elixir by default. Before any erlangers get mad at me let me defend myself. The reason is that it’s easy to use Erlang (or any other BEAM language) library from Elixir, but it’s harder or impossible to use a lot of very good libraries like Phoenix and ecto from Erlang due to elixir’s macro system. If you’re building something open source it might make sense to pick Erlang by default to attract the widest audience (see telemetry as an example). This is the elixir forum so I am of course biased, take this with a grain of salt.