ebart
I am struggling whole day on this question. Current Monitor stores groups referenced by user_id, the question is how to store data in GenServer to handle many users related to many groups, finally to map groups and return users count by given group name?
Groups will be replaced frequently on each Phoenix Channel call.
My current code:
defmodule Myapp.Monitor do
use GenServer
def create(user_id) do
case GenServer.whereis(ref(user_id)) do
nil -> Myapp.Supervisor.start_child(user_id)
end
end
def start_link(user_id) do
GenServer.start_link(__MODULE__, [], name: ref(user_id))
end
def set_groups(user_pid, groups) do
try_call user_pid, {:set_groups, groups}
end
def handle_call({:set_groups, groups}, _from, state) do
{ :reply, groups, groups } # reset user groups on each set_group call.
end
defp ref(user_id) do
{:global, {:user, user_id}}
end
defp try_call(user_id, call_function) do
case GenServer.whereis(ref(user_id)) do
nil -> {:error, :invalid_user}
user_pid -> GenServer.call(user_pid, call_function)
end
end
end
Supervisor:
defmodule Myapp.Supervisor do
use Supervisor
def start_link do
Supervisor.start_link(__MODULE__, :ok, name: __MODULE__)
end
def start_child(user_id) do
Supervisor.start_child(__MODULE__, [user_id])
end
def init(:ok) do
supervise([worker(Myapp.Monitor, [], restart: :temporary)], strategy: :simple_one_for_one)
end
end
Usage:
Monitor.create(5)
Monitor.set_groups(5, ['a', 'b', 'c'])
Monitor.create(6)
Monitor.set_groups(6, ['a', 'b'])
Monitor.set_groups(6, ['a', 'c'])
# not implemented:
# Monitor.users_in_gorup('a') # -> 2
# Monitor.users_in_gorup('b') # -> 1
# Monitor.users_in_gorup('c') # -> 2
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex









