wolfiton
Hi everyone,
So following the absinthe book I arrived at the subscription chapter with the ordering system powered by embedded schemas.
My problem is that cast/4 is deprecated but I couldn’t find any example of cast_embed/3
My Order schema looks like this:
defmodule PlateSlate.Ordering.Order do
use Ecto.Schema
import Ecto.Changeset
alias PlateSlate.Ordering.Order
schema "orders" do
field :customer_number, :integer, read_after_writes: true
field :ordered_at, :utc_datetime, read_after_writes: true
field :state, :string, read_after_writes: true
embeds_many :items, PlateSlate.Ordering.Item
timestamps()
end
@doc false
def changeset(%Order{} = order, attrs) do
order
|> cast(attrs, [:customer_number, :items, :ordered_at, :state])
|> cast_embed(:items)
end
end
My Item schema looks like this:
defmodule PlateSlate.Ordering.Item do
use Ecto.Schema
import Ecto.Changeset
embedded_schema do
field :price, :decimal
field :name, :string
field :quantity, :integer
end
def changeset(item, attrs) do
item
|> cast(attrs, [:price, :name, :quantity])
|> validate_required([:price, :name, :quantity])
end
end
Error trace:
mix test test/plate_slate/ordering_test.exs 1 ✘ at 17:23:35
1) test orders create_order/1 with valid data creates a order (PlateSlate.OrderingTest)
test/plate_slate/ordering_test.exs:13
** (RuntimeError) casting embeds with cast/4 for :items field is not supported, use cast_embed/3 instead
code: assert {:ok, %Order{} = order} = Ordering.create_order(attrs)
stacktrace:
(ecto) lib/ecto/changeset.ex:545: Ecto.Changeset.type!/2
(ecto) lib/ecto/changeset.ex:519: Ecto.Changeset.process_param/7
(elixir) lib/enum.ex:1948: Enum."-reduce/3-lists^foldl/2-0-"/3
(ecto) lib/ecto/changeset.ex:504: Ecto.Changeset.cast/6
(plate_slate) lib/plate_slate/ordering/order.ex:17: PlateSlate.Ordering.Order.changeset/2
(plate_slate) lib/plate_slate/ordering.ex:56: PlateSlate.Ordering.create_order/1
test/plate_slate/ordering_test.exs:24: (test)
Finished in 0.1 seconds
1 test, 1 failure
Also, I don’t have any embeds in my test file, so the error is definitely coming from my schemas, just wondering what is the correct way to define cast_embed/3
Because I think that how it is now it should be correct.
Thanks in advance
Trending in Chat/Questions
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #ai
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ecto-query
- #blog-post
- #elixirconf-us
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #security
- #metaprogramming











Showing Posts 4 to 1- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
wolfiton
Thanks @Adzz for the follow up on this.
But I think that a more clearer way to define this error should be like this:
I think that this should make more sense to everybody and also an exmaple in the docs.
Adzz
I think the error makes sense if you know what it’s saying.
Items is an embed, and the error is telling you you tried to cast an embedded field in cast/4, which is not allowed.
Even though you did a cast_embed after, it hits this error first.
wolfiton
Thanks @fuelen,
That is the solution.
Can I also add that the error I got is misleading and doesn’t explain what is really happening?
Thanks again for the help
fuelen
Hello!
Just remove
:itemsfrom the list of attributes oncastcall.