dmitriid
It’s one of those “if you try it, you can figure it out” questions. I’m just hoping someone has already done this before and has some quick tips or a link to look at ![]()
The meat of the question is: I have something in a file (data, or a custom DSL, or anything, really). Using this something, I want to create and compile an Elixir module and load it into the running application. When that something changes (let’s say, a file watcher tells me that contents have changed), I want to re-create/re-compile that module and reload it.
I know that I should start looking at Module.create/3. Perhaps there are other things I can/should look at and consider?
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI.
Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 5- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
kokolegorille
You might use @external_resource attribute on a module…
If the external resource file change, the module will recompile.
03juan
You could try Code.eval_string/3 if you want to parse the changed “something” file from within Elixir to produce a string representation of the module def.
Alternatively Code.eval_file/2 if you dynamically write/update an
.exfile from your “something” file.mudasobwa
This is compilation-time dependency, which helps to mark a module as “recompilation needed” for the regular elixir compiler when say
mix compileis to be invoked next time. It has zero value here, unfortunately.Yes, kinda. There is a pitfall one should be aware of: the module recompilation is not instant.
I would spawn the process as gateway access to the module to be recompiled that both recompiles whatever is needed and its mailbox acts as a queue for both subsequent recompilations and all the interactions with this module. That way one can be sure that the module gets accessed if and only it’s available.
Please note, that
Module.create/3accepts an AST. If you want to load a regular.ex[s]file, useCode.eval_file/2as suggested by @03juan.kokolegorille
Oops, my bad… I did not catch it should be for runtime.
dmitriid
Good point/catch about the queue. Especially if I want this to be based on a custom DSL or custom data, compilation will definitely not be instant.