dsnipe

dsnipe

Hello.
I need to create a RegExp from any string. I tried to use strings with special characters, e.g. "\d"
But when I try to compile this string, it escapes the symbols and shows something like ~r/\x7F/
The code to try:

regex_str = "^\d+,$"
Regex.compile(regex_str) # {:ok, ~r/^\x7F+,$/}

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Showing Posts 1 to 9

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

That is because just using " as the string delimiters turns on special characters like that. :slight_smile:

To turn it off there are a few ways, the usual one is via using the ~S (capital S) sigil, which turns interpolation and special characters off, thus:

iex> "\d"
"\d"
iex> ~s"\d"
"\d"
iex> ~S"\d"
"\\d"

:slight_smile:

EDIT1: For note, " basically is like having an implied ~s before it. You can change the delimiter to a certain set if you want, ", ', / and a half dozen others are all valid, so ~s/blah/ == "blah" is true. :slight_smile:

EDIT2: Also, the r sigil both defines a string and passes it to regex compile all in the same step, so your original example could be done like:

iex> regex_str = "^\\d+,$"
"^\\d+,$"
iex> Regex.compile(regex_str)
{:ok, ~r/^\d+,$/}
iex> ~r"\\d+,$"
~r/\\d+,$/
iex> ~r/\\d+,$/
~r/\\d+,$/
iex> ~r{\\d+,$}
~r/\\d+,$/

The inspection protocol for compiled regex’s just converts the compiles regex into the sigil form for easy copy/pasting into the shell, but that is not how it really is internally. The inspection protocol is for ease of ‘you’ reading it, not how it really is. :slight_smile:

EDIT3: There are lots of sigils, you can even make your own, all documented at:

dsnipe

dsnipe OP

In my case I get a string from users input, and they expect to use a ‘normal’ regexp.
So I can’t use sigils, like ~S , because I can’t pass a variable to the macro.
I have this string “^\d” as an input from users (or a record from a DB) and I need to convert it to regexp.

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

Well doing regex_str = "^\d+,$" is most certainly not user input. ^.^
It would be more like regex_str = get_user_blah() or so. Strings are only escaped in ‘source code’, not from anywhere else. So if it is user input then it is already fine. :slight_smile:

The issue is that your binding content in regex_str was escaped, it was not theRegex.compile/1 escaping it, it was the " parts above it.

It is exactly the same in javascript, C, C++, ocaml, etc… etc… etc…, almost every language out. :slight_smile:

michalmuskala

michalmuskala

If you get \d from an external source, it will be represented as "\\d" as a string, and this will work fine with Regex.compile.

Elixir string "\d" does not represent two characters, but a single one. A user entering text into, say, text field, does not use Elixir syntax, though, so when they type \d, this will result in a two-byte string, represented as "\\d" in Elixir. When you use a string in a test, you use Elixir syntax, so additional escaping is necessary there.

dsnipe

dsnipe OP

Thanks for the explanation @michalmuskala.
Indeed, I used it in tests and faced this problem. Now, it’s clear for me.

michalmuskala

michalmuskala

As a side note, be careful running user input as a regex. It’s very easy to create a pathologically expensive regex that will DOS your server.

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

You know I just got to thinking, is it possible to create a function to do a rough calculation of a ‘cost’ of a compiled regex? That way we could deny user inputted regex that goes above a certain ‘cost’? Sounds like a hard problem to catch all the detrimental cases… I wonder…

michalmuskala

michalmuskala

That sounds to me an awfully lot like the halting problem.

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

To evaluate it then possibly, I was thinking more of just known detrimental patterns, like ones that can match unbounded and expensive loops and such.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews