Fl4m3Ph03n1x

Fl4m3Ph03n1x

Background

So I am using this library mix-test.watch from @lpil which I really like.

Usually I just run mix test.watch and I let the process running.

As a bonus to this library, you can also execute it by passing the --only flag. For example, if I want to watch only my “super_duper_tests” I can do it like this: mix text.watch --only super_duper_tests and this will only watch all the tests that have, for example, the @moduletag :super_duper_tests on them.

Enter Alias

So, this is all fun, but I am lazy and I don’t like typing. So I want to create an alias like this:

mix test.watch.super_duper that will be translated to mix text.watch --only super_duper_tests.

To achieve this I tried the following on my mix.exs file:

defp aliases do
  [
    "test.watch.super_duper": ["test.watch --only super_duper_tests"]
  ]
end

Problem

You may have guessed, since I am posting here, that this is not working. When I try my new alias, I get the error message Could not find test.watch task.

So obviously I am doing something wrong in the configuration.

Questions

How can I create an alias for mix test.watch?

Showing Posts 1 to 7

hauleth

hauleth

How did you defined the dependency? Are you running in correct Mix environment?

Fl4m3Ph03n1x

Fl4m3Ph03n1x OP

This is how I defined it:

[{:mix_test_watch, "~> 1.0", only: :dev}]

Perhaps it should be:

[{:mix_test_watch, "~> 1.0", only: [:dev, :test]}]

right?

EDIT

Yep, it needed to be [{:mix_test_watch, "~> 1.0", only: [:dev, :test]}].

hauleth

hauleth

BTW I prefer to use entr or watchman with mix test --listen-on-stdin

Fl4m3Ph03n1x

Fl4m3Ph03n1x OP

You mean:

https://github.com/alephmelo/watchman-elixir

right?
I couldn’t find any github repo for entr, could you post a link?

stefanchrobot

stefanchrobot

I personally use watchexec:

watchexec -e 'ex,exs,eex,leex' -- 'mix format && mix test --stale'
LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

stuartbain

stuartbain

Blog post showing usage of entr
https://jvns.ca/blog/2020/06/28/entr/

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews