shahryarjb

shahryarjb

Hi, I have Elixir macro that I want to use it as @behaviour in my project. but there is a problem I can not be able to use a @type as a parameters of a macro.

My macro

defmodule MishkaPub.ActivityStream.Validator do
  defmacro __using__(opts) do
    quote(bind_quoted: [opts: opts]) do
      type = Keyword.get(opts, :type)
      module = Keyword.get(opts, :module)

      @type t :: unquote(type)
      @type action() :: :build | :validate

      @callback build(t()) :: {:ok, action(), t()} | {:error, action(), any()}
      @callback build(t(), list(String.t())) ::
                  {:ok, action(), t()} | {:error, action(), any()}

      @callback validate(t()) :: {:ok, action(), t()} | {:error, action(), any()}
      @callback validate(t(), list(String.t())) ::
                  {:ok, action(), t()} | {:error, action(), any()}

      @behaviour unquote(module)
    end
  end
end

And the Elixir file I want to use it

defmodule MishkaPub.ActivityStream.Type.Object do
  alias MishkaPub.ActivityStream.Validator

  @type tt :: %__MODULE__{
          id: String.t(),
          type: String.t(),
          name: String.t(),
          replies: list(String.t())
        }

  defstruct [
    :id,
    :type,
    ..
  ]

  use Validator, module: __MODULE__, type: tt()

  def build(%__MODULE__{} = params) do
    {:ok, :build, Map.merge(%__MODULE__{}, params)}
  rescue
    _e ->
      {:ok, :build, :unexpected}
  end

  ...
end

but I have this error

** (CompileError) lib/activity_stream/validator.ex:3: undefined function type/0 (there is no such import)

How can fix this error?


Another problem if this is fixed! I have 2 duplicated types. (tt(), t()) but I just want to have one type which should be t()

Thank you in advance :rose: :pray:

Showing Posts 1 to 5

hst337

hst337

  1. Please note that @callback attribute is set in the module which defines the interface. While @behaviour is set in the module which implements the interface.

  2. So you’ll actually need something like this

defmodule MishkaPub.ActivityStream.Validator do
  @type action() :: :build | :validate
  @type t :: any() # Or what kind of argument Validator generally wants

  @callback build(t()) :: {:ok, action(), t()} | {:error, action(), any()}
  @callback build(t(), list(String.t())) ::
            {:ok, action(), t()} | {:error, action(), any()}

  @callback validate(t()) :: {:ok, action(), t()} | {:error, action(), any()}
  @callback validate(t(), list(String.t())) ::
            {:ok, action(), t()} | {:error, action(), any()}
end

defmodule MishkaPub.ActivityStream.Type.Object do
  alias MishkaPub.ActivityStream.Validator

  @type t :: %__MODULE__{
          id: String.t(),
          type: String.t(),
          name: String.t(),
          replies: list(String.t())
        }

  defstruct [
    :id,
    :type,
    ..
  ]

  @behaviour Validator

  @impl true
  @spec build(t()) :: {:ok, Validator.action(), t()} | {:error, Validator.action(), any()}
  def build(%__MODULE__{} = params) do
    {:ok, :build, Map.merge(%__MODULE__{}, params)}
  rescue
    _e ->
      {:ok, :build, :unexpected}
  end

  ...
end
al2o3cr

al2o3cr

+1 to what @hst337 said, the behaviour and the implementation need to be separate modules.

Some other thoughts:

  • passing __MODULE__ isn’t required, the module that said use is available as __MODULE__ inside the quote block.

    defmodule MacroDemo do
      defmacro __using__(opts) do
        IO.inspect(__MODULE__, label: "outside")
    
        quote(bind_quoted: [opts: opts]) do
          IO.inspect(__MODULE__, label: "inside")
        end
      end
    end
    
    defmodule Foo do
      use MacroDemo
    end
    
    # prints
    outside: MacroDemo
    inside: Foo
    
  • apart from failing to compile, the only thing that type in Validator does is define t. What about just expecting the user to write @type t :: etc etc etc outside of the use and then using it in the @callbacks?

shahryarjb

shahryarjb OP

I just wanted to create a structure to force programer to do something I want and prevent duplicating code!! so I figured out I have some duplicated @callback in many modules like:

@callback build(t()) :: {:ok, action(), t()} | {:error, action(), any()}

The only thing is different in each modules of my project the first entry of my type I mean t(), first of all I could use struct() for all of them but it is kind of of using any like and I want to have a specific one.

christhekeele

christhekeele

The folk in this thread are providing solid advice to improve your approach, which I would recommend following and would resolve your issues.

However, to address the specific cause of this error the way you are doing things today, for learning about Elixir metaprogramming:

You have an unquoting issue in your macro. Take just the lines here:

You have a variable, opts, inside of your macro’s context, containing a keyword list. To make that available to your generated code, you have to unquote it—which you have implicitly via bind_quoted, no problem!

That means that the variable you next introduce, type, is only available in the generated code. So when you proceed to unquote(type), you are getting the equivalent of variable type does not exists—since it does not exist inside the macro’s context.

You have 3 options:

  1. Unquote opts and extract the type exclusively in the generated code context:

    defmacro(__using__(opts) do
      quote(bind_quoted: [opts: opts]) do
        type = Keyword.get(opts, :type)
        @type t :: type
      end
    end
    
  2. Extract the type exclusively in the macro context and unquote in the generate code:

    defmacro(__using__(opts) do
      type = Keyword.fetch!(opts, :type)
      quote do
        @type t :: unquote(type)
      end
    end
    
    
  3. Extract the type exclusively in the macro context and bind_quoted:

    defmacro(__using__(opts) do
      type = Keyword.fetch!(opts, :type)
      quote [bind_quoted: [type: type]] do
        @type t :: type
      end
    end
    

I believe the 3rd option is popular, although personally I tend to prefer the second, as I like to be explicit about my opts munging and unquote-ing.

shahryarjb

shahryarjb OP

Thank you it is very good to know how to do.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews