shahryarjb

shahryarjb

Hello, I need to create HS256 to save this for encryption, in this elixir I can do it with:

JOSE.JWS.generate_key(%{"alg" => "HS256"}) |> JOSE.JWK.to_map |> elem(1)

but how can I do this in linux command? because I have a shell which creates docker image for me.

I see this page but I think this page result is different with elixir code

Thanks

Showing Posts 1 to 3

kip

kip

ex_cldr Core Team

I suggest this would appear to be doing what you ask using using openssl.

shahryarjb

shahryarjb OP

Thanks, when I create the “k” with linux command:

$(echo -n '{"alg":"HS256","typ":"JWT"}' | base64 | sed s/\+/-/g | sed 's/\//_/g' | sed -E s/=+$//)

this will be 36 characters, but when I use

JOSE.JWS.generate_key(%{"alg" => "HS256"}) |> JOSE.JWK.to_map |> elem(1)
%{
  "alg" => "HS256",
  "k" => "4gOvXdZuoc9_iffdfDnZB2lsxhEePhUe16pFbQXX9Mc",
  "kty" => "oct",
  "use" => "sig"
}

it will be 43 characters, why are these difference between? what does mean "k" => and how to create this?

:heart_eyes:

RudManusachi

RudManusachi

from JWK Parameters for Symmetric Keys

The k (key value) member contains the value of the symmetric (or other single-valued) key. It is represented as the base64url encoding of the octet sequence containing the key value.

JOSE adds that “k” field as a random string generated by: crypto:strong_rand_bytes(Size) (In case of HS256 eventually it happens here)

you can try:

iex> {_, _, {_, key}, _} = :jose_jws_alg.generate_key({:oct, 32}, "HS256")
{:jose_jwk, :undefined,
 {:jose_jwk_kty_oct,
  <<228, 203, 21, 38, 196, 206, 135, 106, 22, 209, 53, 114, 53, 199, 255, 223,
    52, 25, 242, 56, 5, 215, 65, 135, 13, 217, 14, 38, 235, 214, 135, 165>>},

iex> :jose_jwa_base64url.encode(key)
"5MsVJsTOh2oW0TVyNcf_3zQZ8jgF10GHDdkOJuvWh6U"

# which is basically the same as
iex> Base.url_encode64(key, padding: false)
"5MsVJsTOh2oW0TVyNcf_3zQZ8jgF10GHDdkOJuvWh6U"

So in bash probably something like

dd if=/dev/urandom bs=32 count=1 | base64 | sed 's/+/-/g; s/\//_/g; s/=//g'

Could generate you similarly random password to put into "k" field of the map

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews