phtrivier
To make deployment easier, I’ve been trying to set up the Ecto repo of a phoenix app at startup, rather than through mix tasks (that are not bundled in releases by distillery.)
There is a Ecto.Migrator class to run migrations, but mix ecto.create is still needed. I’ve resolved to using this :
def start(_type, _args) do
import Supervisor.Spec
# Ensure the ecto repo has been created
:ok = ensure_repo_created()
# Define workers and child supervisors to be supervised
children = [
...
]
...
start_return = Supervisor.start_link(children, opts)
# Run migrations
path = Application.app_dir(:myapp, "priv/repo/migrations")
Ecto.Migrator.run(MyApp.Repo, path, :up, all: true)
start_return
end
defp ensure_repo_created() do
case MyApp.Repo.__adapter__.storage_up(MyApp.Repo.config) do
:ok -> :ok
{:error, :already_up} -> :ok
{:error, term} -> {:error, term}
end
end
This seems to work, but this looks a bit ugly (using the adapter), is there a cleaner / better way to do this ?
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 4- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
radar
It’s worth noting that Distillery has some documentation around creating a task to run migrations: https://github.com/bitwalker/distillery/blob/master/docs/Running%20Migrations.md
nhjk
I’m doing the same thing, but in a release pre start hook. Its been working well for me so far.
razzildinho
How do you get around the Node not running error in your pre start hook? I’m in a bit of a catch 22 where if the database isn’t created the app won’t start and if the app hasn’t started I can’t run the start function above.
Easy way to get around this is manually create the database before running but that kind of defeats the purpose of having the boot hook.
mspanc
I made a package for this purpose: ecto_boot_migration | Hex