jessejanderson

jessejanderson

I’ve been reading Lance Halvorsen’s new beta book “Functional Web Development with Elixir, OTP and Phoenix” and it’s got me thinking about new ways of using processes.

In the book, you build a battleship-clone, and the gameboard you build is built with coordinates - each of which is its own process. The advantage you get out of this is that each coordinate is independent yet can hold it’s own state, and also a coordinate exists independent of any sort of heirarchy. Since it is just a process, it can be a part of different branches of data and easily read / updated.

I was wondering if it would be possible to do the same sort of thing with a calendar app. Each date could be a process that stores the events/times happening that day, one advantage being that you could potentially check for room conflicts when creating a new weekly event that just calls up the processes associated with the dates you are scheduling to check for any potential conflicts.

Obviously, one huge issue with this thought process is timezones - so maybe it’s an entirely wrong-headed approach.

My work currently has several calendar apps built in Rails and finding/resolving conflicts is one of the biggest sluggishness factors - so that is definitely one factor that I’m trying to find a solution for.

Just sort of spinning this stuff around in my head and wondering if anyone has any thoughts or ideas for a way to take advantage of OTP in a scheduling/calendar app. :slight_smile:

Showing Posts 1 to 10

dom

dom

Why is finding conflicts sluggish in the Rails app?

jessejanderson

jessejanderson OP

Heh, actually I have no idea - I’m actually not super familiar with Rails.

Honestly, I’m more focused on “how to think about a scheduling calendar within OTP” than specifically fixing problems with the Rails app, though that is what sort of sparked this.

radar

radar

I couldn’t think of a reason for the finding or resolving of conflicts to be difficult. With a liberal use of PostgreSQL’s OVERLAP operator (PostgreSQL: Documentation: 9.0: Date/Time Functions and Operators) it should be fairly trivial to do.


Now regarding this OTP app idea of yours. What kind of granularity would the processes have? I can’t think of a level of granularity that would actually work for this example, hence why I ask. You couldn’t have a process per hour because then what if an event spans multiple hours? You can scale that idea up to days, weeks and months.

I see you suggested days, but what about an event that spans over two days?

I am not entirely sure that an OTP app here would work, but I am not an OTP expert by any stretch of anyone’s imagination. I’m open to being proven wrong here.

xlphs

xlphs

What if each future event is a process? To check for conflict, send a message to all events, those with conflict will report back, you can then cancel event that are not prioritized.

andre1sk

andre1sk

Postgres has range data types so it’s even simpler you can even build a unique index that will enforce no overlapping bookings

radar

radar

Nice :slight_smile: I wasn’t aware of this until now.

radar

radar

How far into the future would you be reasonably expected to check? What if there was an event the day after the last day you checked up to?

xlphs

xlphs

To infinity and beyond :smile: Recurring events will implement conflict check differently and only one process exists, one-off event is one process. I think this design makes sense if you want to do something fancy like weighted job scheduling which is a pretty classic problem.

DianaOlympos

DianaOlympos

My two cents :slight_smile:

Groups and registers ! Each event is an independant process. You register them to a group/register for the room. And when a new event come, you can just broadcast to all event asking for conflicts. They are optimisations that can be done, like also having a “leader” process per room that handle an aggregated copy of the data, etc etc.

I think @Trevoke is discovering that lately through his side project.

Trevoke

Trevoke

Haha, yeah, I am.

Having every event an independent process does offer significantly more freedom overall, although it does mean a change in perspective and tooling.

It turns out Google Calendar’s current interface can show you some reasonable approaches to it, by limiting the time range in which it will suggest times for the meeting: if you’re concerned about every event ever being a process, you can also just spawn the ones you’re likely to need.

As for me, I’m stuck with a failing test over here: (EXIT) no process: the process is not alive or there's no process currently associated with the given name, possibly because its application isn't started

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
velrest
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI. Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews