BenSchZA

BenSchZA

I’m working on a problem where I’m parsing a list of column headers from a Google spreadsheet, trying to fuzzy match these headers to the corresponding Ecto schema field names. A column header like “Select DHR Revision Number” would ideally be simplified to “dhr_revision_number” as an example.

Here’s the method, naming it fuzzy_zip, that takes a header name list and a list of Ecto schema fields, and uses a modified String.jaro_distance method to match the two columns. I still need to add a condition that makes sure an entry isn’t repeated.

  def averaged_jaro_distance(a, b, seperators \\ {" ", " "}) when is_bitstring(a) and is_bitstring(b) do
    {a_seperator, b_seperator} = seperators
    a_split = String.split(a, a_seperator)
    b_split = String.split(b, b_seperator)

    sum =
      a_split
      |> Enum.map(fn x ->
        Enum.reduce(b_split, 0, fn y, acc -> acc + String.jaro_distance(x, y) end) /
          length(b_split)
      end)
      |> Enum.sum()

    sum / length(a_split)
  end

  def sort_zip(a, b, mapper, sorter \\ &<=/2) when is_list(a) and is_list(b) and length(a) == length(b) do
    a
    |> Enum.map(fn x ->
      {x, Enum.sort_by(b, &mapper.(&1, x), sorter) |> List.first()}
    end)
  end

  def fuzzy_zip(a, b, seperators \\ {" ", " "}) when is_list(a) and is_list(b) and length(a) == length(b) do
    sort_zip(a, b, &(averaged_jaro_distance(&1, &2, seperators)), &>=/2)
  end

And here are the doctests to explain why I modified jaro_distance - string order affects result.

      iex> String.jaro_distance("apple cider", "cider")
      0.43030303030303035

      iex> String.jaro_distance("apple cider", "apple")
      0.8181818181818182

      iex> averaged_jaro_distance("apple cider", "cider")
      0.7333333333333333

My modified jaro_distance method still results in an incorrect zip, although better than the original method.

fuzzy_zip(
             [
               "Timestamp",
               "Confirm Start Time",
               "Manufacturer",
               "Select WI Revision Number",
               "Select DHR Revision Number",
               "Select Item Number"
             ],
             [
               "dhr_revision_number",
               "start_time",
               "manufacturer",
               "wi_revision_number",
               "item_number",
               "timestamp"
             ],
             {" ", "_"}
           )
  [
    {"Timestamp", "timestamp"},
    {"Confirm Start Time", "start_time"},
    {"Manufacturer", "manufacturer"},
    {"Select WI Revision Number", "wi_revision_number"},
    {"Select DHR Revision Number", "wi_revision_number"},
    {"Select Item Number", "item_number"}
  ]

Any suggestions to improve this algorithm? I can’t change the sheet headers, might end up having additional entries added without warning (these will be filtered out) or having slight variations, and so ideally would like a robust fuzzy search method as attempted. Also thought it’s an interesting problem to solve :slight_smile:

Showing Posts 1 to 3

al2o3cr

al2o3cr

Are there any common patterns in the column names? For instance, your example seems like it would benefit from pre-trimming words like “Confirm” and “Select” from the beginnings of headers.

lucaong

lucaong

Implementing efficient fuzzy match is not easy, but also a very interesting endeavor :slight_smile: There are many possibilities, depending on your constraints and on how you define the problem. I had some fun with it while implementing MiniSearch, a compact client-side full-text search engine written in JavaScript.

If you feel like getting dragged in the rabbit hole of information retrieval, here’s a great publicly available resource to get started with it.

That said, in your case, the issue is probably that you should first normalize the terms, at least downcasing them, otherwise you will get wrong results when you calculate the Jaro distance:

String.jaro_distance("ABC", "abcd")
#=> 0.0

String.jaro_distance("abc", "abcd")
#=> 0.9166666666666666

If you downcase the spreadsheet headers, you get the correct result with your current method:

fuzzy_zip(
  Enum.map([
    "Timestamp",
    "Confirm Start Time",
    "Manufacturer",
    "Select WI Revision Number",
    "Select DHR Revision Number",
    "Select Item Number"
  ], &(String.downcase(&1))),
  [
    "dhr_revision_number",
    "start_time",
    "manufacturer",
    "wi_revision_number",
    "item_number",
    "timestamp"
  ],
  {" ", "_"}
)
#=> [
#   {"timestamp", "timestamp"},
#   {"confirm start time", "start_time"},
#   {"manufacturer", "manufacturer"},
#   {"select wi revision number", "wi_revision_number"},
#   {"select dhr revision number", "dhr_revision_number"},
#   {"select item number", "item_number"}
# ]

There would be more efficient and precise ways to perform this match, but if this is good enough for your use case I would stay with it for now.

BenSchZA

BenSchZA OP

@al2o3cr and @lucaong - both of those suggestions will definitely help! I think implementing the lower-casing normalization is easier, so will go with that for now and compare results.

Thanks for the other resources @lucaong. It is an interesting fun problem to solve :slight_smile:

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
velrest
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI. Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews