BenSchZA

BenSchZA

I’ve created a custom GenServer macro, to abstract the logic from the user of a project I’m working on, Cadex. It’s used for modelling and simulating basic differential equation based models and eventually complex systems.

I’ve been experimenting with different ways I can create state update functions like below, and make it a bit cleaner - so the user only has to implement the core logic. Essentially I want to take the handle_call function and insert code before and after, adapt the function interface, but I’m struggling to get my head around it. You can see my WIP here: cadex/lib/cadex at robots-marbles-7 · BenSchZA/cadex · GitHub in decorators.ex and model.ex.

def handle_call(
        {:update, var},
        _from,
        state = %Cadex.Types.State{current: current, delta: delta}
      )
      when var == :box_A do
    increment =
      &(&1 +
          cond do
            current[var] > current[:box_B] -> -1
            current[var] < current[:box_B] -> 1
            true -> 0
          end)

    delta_ = %{var => increment}

    state_ =
      state
      |> Map.put(:delta, Map.merge(delta, delta_))

    {
      :reply,
      state_,
      state_
    }
  end

Rather something cleaner like this:

@state_update(:box_A)
def update_box_A(
        {:update, var},
        state = %Cadex.Types.State{current: current, delta: delta}
      ) do
    increment =
      &(&1 +
          cond do
            current[var] > current[:box_B] -> -1
            current[var] < current[:box_B] -> 1
            true -> 0
          end)

    {var: increment}
  end

In the GenServer macro, I’d then like to insert the rest of the code, and make sure the handle_call behaviour(?) is still implemented correctly and returns the right result. Is this possible?

I think I’ve messed around enough trying to implement a solution, and maybe some feedback would help me on my way! Appreciate any guidance :slight_smile:

Showing Posts 1 to 8

lucaong

lucaong

If I understand, you want to allow the user of your library to specify how the state should be updated, without requiring them to implement the whole GenServer and without leaking private implementation details that should not affect the user. Is that correct?

If so, initially leave aside the GenServer and its state and think about a functional core for the state update logic. I do not understand the details of your example, but it seems that the user should specify how to update the :delta given some information in var and current. If that is true, you could let the user supply a module that fulfills a specified behavior, something like this:

# Behavior (adjust the types to the correct ones)
defmodule YourBehaviour do
  @callback update(var, current) :: delta
end

# User defined functional implementation
defmodule UserImplementation do
  @behaviour YourBehaviour

  @impl true
  def update(var, current) do
    # compute and return delta
  end
end

# Provide the implementation, something like:
{:ok, pid} = YourLibrary.start_link(impl: UserImplementation)

I might have gotten the details wrong, but the important thing is that you define a functional behavior so that the user defined functions receive all the needed data and no more than that, and return the updated value.

Your GenServer will then maintain the state and use the module supplier by the user to update it. This way, the user does not access implementation details or private data structures, and your GenServer logic can be tested with your own test implementation. Runtime concerns like handling concurrency or supervision are left outside of the functional core. Also, no macro is needed.

The GenServer is a runtime concern that is better separating from the actual update logic. This popular blog post elaborates more on the idea (the author, @sasajuric, hangs out in this forum).

BenSchZA

BenSchZA OP

If I understand, you want to allow the user of your library to specify how the state should be updated, without requiring them to implement the whole GenServer and without leaking private implementation details that should not affect the user. Is that correct?

That’s correct, and behaviors look like exactly what I need :slight_smile: I’m going to give this a try, and see if I understand how the core logic and GenServer are then used together. I’ll come back for another review.

al2o3cr

al2o3cr

Also check out gen_statem - it’s an example of an abstraction on top of the GenServer behavior that abstracts away state-updating and event routing.

BenSchZA

BenSchZA OP

That library is almost exactly what I need! I might even try build on top of it.

LukeWood

LukeWood

I wrote a library to do this recently -

I didn’t like how it turned out so I never pushed forward - but you might find some value in the source code

https://github.com/LukeWood/GenClient

ityonemo

ityonemo

If you want a gen_statem that looks like genserver, I wrote StateServer — state_server v0.4.10

BenSchZA

BenSchZA OP

I joined the Elixir Forum just over a week ago, and already I can say the Elixir community is one of the best! :slight_smile: Thanks for all the suggestions, going to accept @lucaong 's answer, but they’ve all helped answer my question.

I’m excited to keep learning - just got a client wanting a data ETL pipeline, that is going to be the perfect match for the Elixir/Phoenix ecosystem, GenServer, GenStage, all the rest. First opportunity to use Elixir in production :clap:

BenSchZA

BenSchZA OP

After refactoring to use behaviours:

A model is defined.

defmodule Marbles do
  @behaviour Cadex.Behaviour

  @initial_conditions %{
    box_A: 11,
    box_B: 0
  }

  @partial_state_update_blocks [
    %Cadex.Types.PartialStateUpdateBlock{
      policies: [
        :robot_1,
        :robot_2
      ],
      variables: [
        :box_A,
        :box_B
      ]
    }
  ]

  @simulation_parameters %Cadex.Types.SimulationParameters{
    T: 10
  }

  @impl true
  def config do
    %Cadex.Types.State{
      sim: %{
        simulation_parameters: @simulation_parameters,
        partial_state_update_blocks: @partial_state_update_blocks
      },
      current: @initial_conditions
    }
  end

  @impl true
  def update(var = :box_A, _state = %Cadex.Types.State{current: current}) do
    increment =
      &(&1 +
          cond do
            current[var] > current[:box_B] -> -1
            current[var] < current[:box_B] -> 1
            true -> 0
          end)

    {:ok, increment}
  end

  @impl true
  def update(var = :box_B, _state = %Cadex.Types.State{current: current}) do
    increment =
      &(&1 +
          cond do
            current[var] > current[:box_A] -> -1
            current[var] < current[:box_A] -> 1
            true -> 0
          end)

    {:ok, increment}
  end
end

The model is run (down the line there will be settings for Monte carlo simulations etc.)

{:ok, pid} = Cadex.start(Marbles)
Cadex.update(:box_A)
Cadex.update(:box_B)
state = Cadex.state()

# Or, to run a full model loop
Cadex.run(optional_args)

This looks much better.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
Alvinkariuki
How Can I Optimise Compile Time Dependencies I have been building an elixir application for about 2 years now. Many modules and files ha...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews