Creating a User with Profile schema?

Hi!
I want to create a user and also profile schema at the same time.

For example

defmodule MyApp.Accounts.User do
  use Ecto.Schema
  import Ecto.Changeset

schema "users" do
    field :username, :string
    field :password, Comeonin.Ecto.Password
    field :email, :string

has_one :profile, MyApp.Accounts.Profile
    timestamps()
  end
end

defmodule MyApp.Accounts.Profile do
  use Ecto.Schema
  import Ecto.Changeset

schema "profiles" do
    field :phone_number, :string
    field :address, :string
    field :intro, :string

belongs_to :user, MyApp.Accounts.User
    timestamps()
  end
end

then I got an input from user like this

attrs = %{username: "username",
          password: "secret", 
          email: "email@example.com", 
          phone_number: "2223334444", 
          address: "some address", 
          intro: "Hello world!"}

then in my accounts.ex file

def create_user(attrs) do                                                                                                                                     
     user_changeset = User.changeset(%User{}, attrs)                                                                                                                   
     profile_changeset = Profile.changeset(%Profile{}, attrs)

user_changeset                                                                                                                                                    
     |> Ecto.Changeset.put_assoc(:profile, profile_changeset)                                                                                               
     |> Repo.insert()                                                                                                                                                   
end    

I think it works…
But is there any better (elixir) way?

No that’s pretty much it, although I’d probably use a transaction because I like the reliability of the transaction, but it doesn’t look like it actually matters in this case. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

What do you mean by “use a transaction” , is it by using Ecto.multi ? ,
do you mind to share how to “use a transaction” ?
Thank you

This should offer you an example from the docs https://hexdocs.pm/ecto/Ecto.Repo.html#c:transaction/2

1 Like

Does someone still need an example of Multi new and run for this?

If you do reply to this message and mention my user like this @wolfiton

I most often use Ecto.Multi’s yes, but then I frequently don’t use associations due to significant limitations of them anyway. :slight_smile:

Nah, you can just run it in a transaction function all that you need to do anyway. ^.^

2 Likes

Can you explain more about this? Do you mean you don’t frequently use associations(like has_one, has_many, belongs_to etc.) in you database design?

Ecto’s associations assume there is only one join column, but because of legacy reasons I have at minimum 2 join columns and sometimes more, thus making the Ecto associations absolutely useless for me as it assumes a design that cannot exist here. ^.^;

3 Likes

Thanks @wolfiton and @OvermindDL1 for the reply

1 Like