dstergiou

dstergiou

Hello,

first of all i apologize if this is a very basic question, but i only started playing with Elixir last week, and my knowledge of Elixir and Phoenix is minimal.

I am creating a webapp based on Elixir / Phoenix that is on purpose vulnerable to several web attacks. What i am trying to achieve now is a basic SQL Injection, but it seems that Phoenix is using parameterized queries which makes it impossible to have an SQL injection.

The code so far looks like this:

content = Ecto.Adapters.SQL.query!(
          MyApp.Repo, "SELECT name,data from contents WHERE name=$1", [params["name"]]
       )

If i execute the code with a typical SQL injection string like ' OR '1' = ‘1then Phoenix replies with:

SELECT name,data from contents WHERE name=$1 [“’ OR ‘1’ = ‘1”]

If i execute the code with some valid name, then i see this:

SELECT name,data from contents WHERE name=$1 [“Per”]
[[“Per”, “This is a test”]]

Which is what i would expect from this query.
So, my question is, is there a way to write the query code to make this SQL injection viable?

In Python, it was as simple as:

if request.method == 'POST':
        input = request.POST.get('input')
        query = "SELECT * from levels_content WHERE name = '%s'" % input
        result = Content.objects.raw(query)

Again apologies if this is a very basic question, and thanks in advance for the help

Showing Posts 1 to 4

darkmarmot

darkmarmot

You probably want to drop down to a lower level library like :postgrex so that you can create injectable queries by hand?

dstergiou

dstergiou OP

Hey,

i checked here: Postgrex — Postgrex v0.22.2 for query/4 and it seems that passing attributes as parameters is mandatory - at least this is what i understand from this example:

Postgrex.query(conn, "SELECT id FROM posts WHERE title like $1", ["%my%"])

Ideally i would like to do some string interpolation, and end up with something like:
Postgrex.query(conn, "SELECT id FROM posts WHERE title like #{input}")

input being what i received from the HTML form

hauleth

hauleth

You can do the same using Ecto itself:

MyApp.Repo.query("SELECT id FROM posts WHERE title like #{input}", [])
dstergiou

dstergiou OP

Thanks, that did the trick, here is the final line:

    name = params["name"]
    content = Ecto.Adapters.SQL.query!(
      ElixirTrustlyctf.Repo, "SELECT name,data from contents WHERE name=\'#{name}\'", []
    )

Cheers

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews