jschepmans
Hello all,
I’m going through the open source beta version of the Dockyard Academy curriculum (GitHub - DockYard-Academy/curriculum · GitHub) and I’m doing some exercises about for comprehensions.
In one of these exercises I have to convert the following nested Enum.map into a comprehension with three generators:
Enum.map(1..3, fn a -> Enum.map(1..3, fn b -> {a, b} end) end)
# Result:
[[{1, 1}, {1, 2}, {1, 3}], [{2, 1}, {2, 2}, {2, 3}], [{3, 1}, {3, 2}, {3, 3}]]
My best guess has only two generators and results in one list without sublists:
for a <- 1..3, b <- 1..3, do: {a, b}
# Result:
[{1, 1}, {1, 2}, {1, 3}, {2, 1}, {2, 2}, {2, 3}, {3, 1}, {3, 2}, {3, 3}]
I assume the third generator (the one I am still missing) will create the 3 sublists. But I have no clue how this generator would look like. Any ideas?
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 10- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
stevensonmt
I believe you need multiple comprehensions.
code-shoily
I think this can be done with only two generators (mental mapping: 1 map = 1 for, nested map = nested for), I wonder how can one convert those two maps into three for-s?
jschepmans
Thank you for the answers! I did not even think about the possibility of nesting the for’s, so I learned something new
I still wonder how it can be done with three generators in one comprehension, like they asked. Is it even possible?
adamu
I don’t think so, seems to be an error.
dkuku
I think it is possible with a for reduce
You can build the tuples from b,c and depending on the value of a push it to an accumulator that starts with [,,]
code-shoily
You are right, it can absolutely be possible with a for with reduce and two
“zipped”fors as given originally. I always forget the existence of the reduce option of for comprehensions.adamu
Reduce is not a generator, that would still only be two generators.
code-shoily
Is for..reduce not a generator?
LostKobrakai
The
a <- listpart offoris called a generator if one wants to be correct. Doesn’t matter if there’s areduceor not.code-shoily
yeah I had to look up the definition of generator. I am embarrassed to admit that I didn’t know what a generator meant in Elixir until now. So TIL