chrisegb

chrisegb

I am trying to dockerize a simple phoenix api rest service I have tried with the next two docker files:

FROM elixir:latest

RUN apt-get update && \
apt-get -y install sudo

ADD . /app

RUN mix local.hex --force \
&& mix local.rebar --force
RUN mix archive.install hex phx_new 1.4.0-dev.0

RUN curl -sL https://deb.nodesource.com/setup_12.x | bash -
RUN apt-get install -y nodejs

WORKDIR /app

RUN cd assets && npm install

RUN cd ../

RUN mix deps.get

RUN mix compile

EXPOSE 4000

CMD ["mix", "clean"]
CMD ["mix", "ecto.setup"]
CMD ["mix", "phx.server"]

And a more simple one:

FROM elixir:alpine

RUN apk update

ADD . .

RUN mix local.hex --force && mix local.rebar --force
RUN mix archive.install hex phx_new --force
RUN apk update && apk add inotify-tools
RUN mix deps.get
RUN mix compile

CMD ["mix", "clean"]
CMD ["mix", "ecto.setup"]
CMD ["mix", "phx.server"]

With both I am able to create the docker image and also to run the docker container but when I try to hit any endpoint (from postman) I get the next:

Any ideas of why am I getting this?

I have already research about the socket hang up error in postman and may be related to the ports already in use but the problem here is that I am not using any of the ports where I expose or map with my docker container when running docker run -p XXXX:XXXX <image-name>.

Please can you help me with this?

Showing Posts 1 to 9

Sebb

Sebb

did just that some weeks ago

https://github.com/ahsf/ex_api_release_demo

EDIT: repo is now private again. If there is any further need I can fork it to a pubic repo.

chrisegb

chrisegb OP

Hi @Sebb thanks for your reply I have used and example of your Dockerfile but when running the container it prints the next:

[error] `inotify-tools` is needed to run `file_system` for your system, check https://github.com/rvoicilas/inotify-tools/wiki for more information about how to install it. If it's already installed but not be found, appoint executable file with `config.exs` or `FILESYSTEM_FSINOTIFY_EXECUTABLE_FILE` env.
[warning] Could not start Phoenix live-reload because we cannot listen to the file system.
You don't need to worry! This is an optional feature used during development to
refresh your browser when you save files and it does not affect production.
Sebb

Sebb

the container is meant to run in MIX_ENV=prod which will not use Phoenix.LiveReloader — Phoenix Live-Reload v1.6.2

I will make the repo private again, because we make random changes to this for testing.

dbytecoderc

dbytecoderc

Please is it possible to make it public again?

chrisegb

chrisegb OP

@Sebb thanks for the reply, actually, the container runs but I get the same message from postman: socker hang up. Now that you are here @dbytecoderc do you have a working docker container with a Phoenix/Elixir REST API?

Sebb

Sebb

check the config which port is used. See also Networking overview | Docker Docs

Also note, that the readme is wrong. A colleague changed the language from english to french, so you can’t post hello but salut. I’ll fix that for the public repo next week.

dbytecoderc

dbytecoderc

Thank you

chrisegb

chrisegb OP

FIXED: The problem is that Elixir/Phoenix applications configure the connection from other machines inside the dev.exs file, I had to change the line: http: [ip: {127, 0, 0, 1}, port: 4000] to => http: [ip: {0, 0, 0, 0}, port: 4000], actually the comments in the file explicity says that: “Change to ip: {0, 0, 0, 0} to allow access from other machines.”. Though, thanks to @Sebb for the time answering in this topic.

Also, my final simplest (non-production) Dockerfile looks like this:

FROM elixir:alpine
COPY . .
RUN apk update && apk add inotify-tools
RUN mix local.hex --force && \
    mix local.rebar --force
RUN mix do deps.get, deps.compile
EXPOSE 4000
CMD ["mix", "phx.server"]
— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
peck
Hi everyone. My team and I have been working on a fairly modest app based around video streaming and chat, but we’ve landed a customer t...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
Alvinkariuki
How Can I Optimise Compile Time Dependencies I have been building an elixir application for about 2 years now. Many modules and files ha...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews