gperales

gperales

Hi folks!

With the new release of Elixir 1.18, I would like to enforce pattern-matching by struct in our projects to take advantage of the type inference. To do so, I’m working on a Credo check and I would like feedback.

The rule will do the following:

:stop_sign: Pattern-matching by an atom key of a map:

# not preferred
def get_role(%{role: role}) do # if the map keys are atoms it should be a Struct.
  role
end

:white_check_mark: Pattern-matching by struct

# preferred
def get_role(%User{role: role}) do
  role
end
# preferred
def get_role(user = %User{}) do
  user.role
end

I’ve found that there are cases where there are maps with atom keys and they don’t have to be structs, like in the props of the LiveView Components, or the Phoenix Controllers, but I think it is worth having this check and disable it for those cases, or cheat the rule moving the pattern matching inside the body of the function like for this case:

def update(%{param_1: param_1, param_2: param_2}, socket) do
  ...
end

doing:

def update(params, socket) do
  %{param_1: param_1, param_2: param_2} = params
  ...
end

Do you think it would make sense? Would you find it useful enough to add it to Credo?

Showing Posts 1 to 1

sodapopcan

sodapopcan

Hey, welcome to the forum!

It can be contentious but I often destructure params inside the function body, preferring to only match what’s necessary in the function head (within reason). It’s even mention in the anti-pattern guide. That is just to say it’s hard to handle that case as it’s often legit. In any event, I think there needs to be some level of trust there!

Otherwise, it may be overkill but if there is a bare map you could have the rule require adding a guard with is_non_struct_map/1.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews