Newxan

Newxan

Hi! :slight_smile:
So I saw that Credo now has support for checking only towards the git diff. credo/CHANGELOG.md at master · rrrene/credo · GitHub. This is very exciting since I have a large codebase and can now in theory add this to our pipeline for new merge requests.

I can get it working perfectly locally with as the documentation suggests mix credo diff --from-git-merge-base master but when I try to to add this to my gitlab ci pipeline

credo:
  stage: test
  needs: []
  except:
    - master
    - next
  script:
    - mix deps.get
    - mix credo diff --from-git-merge-base master --strict

I get the error:

$ mix credo diff --from-git-merge-base master --strict
** (diff) given value is not a Git ref: master

I’ve tried many different combinations, even experimented with changing so that Gitlab clones project instead of fetching in case it was a problem of not having the branches locally.

  variables:
    GIT_STRATEGY: clone

But so far no luck.
Any suggestions of what might be wrong?

Showing Posts 1 to 1

Newxan

Newxan OP

After a bit more digging I found the problem.
It turns out that you do need to fetch the branch..

I also got sidetracked because it appears that there is some predefined variables in Gitlab that are only available under certain conditions.
For example CI_MERGE_REQUEST_TARGET_BRANCH_NAME and CI_MERGE_REQUEST_TARGET_BRANCH_SHA are not available simply because you have a merge request, you must also set the only: merge_requests option.

TLDR
But in the end I found a setup that I’m satisfied with:

credo:
  stage: test
  needs: []
  except:
    - master
    - next
  script:
    - mix deps.get
    - git fetch origin ${CI_DEFAULT_BRANCH}
    - TARGET_SHA1=$(git show-ref -s ${CI_DEFAULT_BRANCH})
    - echo "$TARGET_SHA1"
    - mix credo diff --from-git-merge-base $TARGET_SHA1 --strict

Since we are quick at merging and in practice really only target our default branch (next) anyways.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews