jeffmvr
I am trying to cross-compile an Elixir release within a Docker container for amd64 on a M1 Macbook and I receive the following error when calling mix deps.compile:
The Docker image I am building from is elixir:latest with the --platform=amd64 flag set.
#0 3.446 Error while loading project :decimal at /app/deps/decimal
#0 3.480 ** (FunctionClauseError) no function clause matching in Keyword.merge/2
#0 3.480
#0 3.480 The following arguments were given to Keyword.merge/2:
#0 3.480
#0 3.480 # 1
#0 3.480 [app: nil, aliases: [], build_embedded: false, build_per_environment: true, build_scm: Mix.SCM.Path, config_path: "config/config.exs", consolidate_protocols: true, default_task: "run", deps: [], deps_path: "deps", elixirc_paths: ["lib"], erlc_paths: ["src"], erlc_include_path: "include", erlc_options: [], lockfile: "mix.lock", preferred_cli_env: [], start_permanent: false]
#0 3.480
#0 3.480 # 2
#0 3.480 Decimal.Mixfile
#0 3.480
#0 3.480 Attempted function clauses (showing 3 out of 3):
#0 3.480
#0 3.480 def merge(+keywords1+, -[]-) when +is_list(keywords1)+
#0 3.480 def merge(-[]-, +keywords2+) when -is_list(keywords2)-
#0 3.480 def merge(+keywords1+, +keywords2+) when +is_list(keywords1)+ and -is_list(keywords2)-
#0 3.480
#0 3.480 (elixir 1.14.4) lib/keyword.ex:979: Keyword.merge/2
#0 3.480 (mix 1.14.4) lib/mix/project.ex:141: Mix.Project.push/3
#0 3.480 (stdlib 4.3.1) lists.erl:1350: :lists.foldl/3
Any suggestions on how to solve this? It builds fine when trying on the same arm64 Docker image so I assume I am missing something.
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
Hello folks!
So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #ai
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ecto-query
- #blog-post
- #elixirconf-us
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #security
- #metaprogramming











Showing Posts 1 to 4- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
adamu
No idea but you could first try the hexpm images.
We really need a bot that responds to all Docker questions concerning the
elixirimage with this.I tried to add a note to the readme, but the PR has been open for 8 months: Update elixir to link to alternative and similarly official images by adamu · Pull Request #2206 · docker-library/docs · GitHub
cschmatzler
Cross-/multiplatform images of OTP languages is unsupported since the introduction of the JIT compiler in OTP24.
Docker uses QEMU for that under the hood, which doesn’t support some of the memory magic that happens for JIT, see: Erlang/OTP 25 JIT on AArch64 fails in user mode emulation (#1034) · Issues · QEMU / QEMU · GitLab
jeffmvr
Thanks so much for this… that’s a bummer!
josevalim
For posterity: you can set ERL_AFLAGS=“+JMsingle true” and make the JIT more amenable to emulation. Or compile it on a matching machine.
As a last resort, you can try compiling the Erlang VM without JIT and using the emulator, but that’s not recommend (it is slower too).