mlen

mlen

I’m new to Elixir/Phoenix, and I’m trying to generate a hash for a given string that matches one made with Web Crypto API.

I have Nginx with NJS module (basically ECMAScript 5.1 module) that I use to generate sha256 for given host, on the fly, e.g.


let hash = await crypto.subtle.digest('SHA-256', r.headersIn.host);

let buf = Buffer.from(hash).toString('hex');

r.setReturnValue(buf);

so for host mydomain.com this gives hexits of 64e2d33ec7149d132d249084147187d043e4bb10c75acf2004597ccbd6128441

Now, I have web app in Phoenix that will create these hashes in the first place (above Nginx code needs to match them in order for things to work). However, given this Elixir code:


:crypto.hash(:sha256, "mydomain.com") |> Base.encode16() |> String.downcase()

gives hexits of 0a79eaf6adb7b1e60d3fa548aa63105f525a00448efbb59ee965b9351a90ac31

which is not the same as one that Nginx has created.

can someone help please?

both, the NJS and Phoenix needs to create same hashes for given (same) string.

BTW my understanding is that the NJS uses crypto library from ECMAScript that, I think, is Web Crypto API implementation, which conforms to FIPS 180-4 spec. Elixir, I guess, uses the Erlang hash functions, which also point to FIPS 180-4 spec from its docs. I’m lost a bit :frowning:

Showing Posts 1 to 2

hauleth

hauleth

Elixir code returns proper value:

Buffer.from(await crypto.subtle.digest('SHA-256', 'mydomain.com')).toString('hex')
// => '0a79eaf6adb7b1e60d3fa548aa63105f525a00448efbb59ee965b9351a90ac31'

So you probably have some rouge characters in your NJS input.

mlen

mlen OP

Thank you!! I knew Elixir was right (bloody JavaScript…)

Turns our the NJS input of r.headersIn.host contains a HTTP port(!) as well, so it behaves different to what Nginx does for same variable, hence I could not spot the obvious. Ehh.

BTW In Nginx $http_host returns host with port, and $host returns just the host. NJS does not have $http_host, and the $host returns host with port.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

ancatrusca
New episode with Ingela Andin - the OTP team member who has maintained the TLS stack for over 20 years and serves as the first point of c...
New
GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews