Curated HEX packages

I agree with most of the people here that Hex is not the right place for this idea. But I think the difference between Hex and other package managers is that it is already backed by the Elixir community, largely and well-represented on this forum, previously on the mailing list, and also now on Slack.

Building on this awesome community, I have found out that we have sticky “wiki” posts for editors and IDEs: Spacemacs, Emacs, Atom, and others. If you are researching any particular packages with a specific use case, could you not create a specific post for that use case and explain the packages you’ve found? I know I was recently involved in a discussion on “happy pipes”/railway-oriented programming libraries. Each of the different libraries had strengths, weaknesses, flavors that could conceivably be grown into/turned into a wiki?

If you create said post, and it is well researched, then the sticky post could show the various packages that exist for the use case, profiling any package’s strengths. Then over time, it grows and evolves, depending on the need for the use case. You could include any information you find relevant there, and it would be driven by moderation from the community, just as this forum is in general.

But I’m not a mod and I don’t know if this is really feasible. :smile:

1 Like