mudasobwa
Creator of Cure
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three killer-features:
- Dependent types (think Idris) with SMT-solvers
- FSMs with SMT-validation as a language primitive
- No
if-then-elseconstruct.
I created Cure more as an ad-hoc DSL, rather than as a general purpose language. Currently it is in the proof of concept stage, although everyone might grab it, compile it, write and execute some code with it.
I am very open to suggestions, improvements, hints, and “this is all crap” comments.
Trending in Discussions
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hi there! :wave:
@frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
There has been a thread to discuss the Stack Overflow Developer Survey on this forum every year since 2018, so here’s yet another one for...
New
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with.
But I don’t use it anymore.
Serverless was the promis...
New
Lately I’ve been thinking about how to organize components as a LiveView application grows. One of the pain points I’ve found (for myself...
New
What IDE or editor are you using for Elixir development?
Personally, I use Zed, and I really like it, but sometimes I wish there were a ...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Xamal is a deployment tool for Elixir apps that deploys native releases to bare metal servers over SSH. It’s a port of GitHub - basecamp/...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #ai
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ecto-query
- #blog-post
- #elixirconf-us
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #security
- #metaprogramming










Showing Posts 1 to 10- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
plcholder
Interesting , could you elaborate on what problem arose with regular beam languages for you to create the lang/dsl? I imagine it didnt just chuck down to elixir and erlang not being statically typed, also I thought dependent types were more on the theoretical side and arent really used for applications in the industry, ive played around with idris because of the thinking in types book and did enjoy using the type as a value and vice versa
edit:
Just to clarify on what I mean by “problem”, I understand beam languages arent typed but Ive been under the assumption that beam fault tolerance/”let it crash” primitives cleans up on this area in terms of safety and correctness
mudasobwa
They don’t. Sending the mistyped message (
:ookinstead of:ok) to the arbitrary process won’t bring any harm whatsoever, but the application would be obviously misfunctional; assigning a negative value to the latitude won’t bring any harm, etc.In Cure, if FSM has been compiled, it’s proven to be correct. The compiler won’t let you send a message to it which won’t be understood and handled.
I was simply tired to implement critical parts in Idris and then transate the code to Elixir once proved to be correct.
Just as an example: in Cure,
List.reverse/1is proven to be correct implementation. No tests are ever needed. That is also true for some user-defined functions.escargot33
This is super cool and incredibly useful. It could be interesting to position this as something similar to LiquidHaskell but for BEAM.
I would love to use these features within elixir though…
AstonJ
Congratulations @mudasobwa
I’ve moved the thread here from libraries as it does not appear to be used within Elixir (if it is let me know and we can move it back).
Must admit I do not know much about FSMs and SMT verification myself (and I can’t be the only one) so it may be worth explaining in a bit more detail why those things are important enough to become a fundamental compelling part of your/a new language
mudasobwa
Tehchnically, you can, because Cure compiles to BEAM. You can use these features with Elixir as you can use erlang with Elixir (
:math.pi().) If you are talking about using it with Elixir syntax, or directly from Elixir as a library, or like, it’s impossible, because Cure compiles to BEAM using its own compiler, I cannot use Elixir compiler because of SMT solver and FSMs validation.I have plans of introducing a bridge (through Elixir compiler,) so that one might have Cure code in
cure/directory like you have erlang insrc/.mudasobwa
Thanks!
Yeah, I eventually will.
juhalehtonen
This seems very interesting! Ever since I first tried out Idris I’ve loved the idea of dependent types – and now you’re telling me I might use them on BEAM? Congrats on reaching this milestone
mudasobwa
Standard library (which is tiny yet, I implemented only what I needed myself atm) already does:
ValorZard
I’ve been trying to look at the website on my phone, and I can’t see any links to downloads or a git repository? Does a public git repository exist or is it not out yet?
Edit: ah, never mind you mention it in the original post itself, but not on the website I guess
mudasobwa
Yeah, my bad. Will fix it. The website has a link to ex_doc generated from erlang sources though: https://cure-lang.org/api/readme.html which in turn has links to the repository.