papakay

papakay

Hello, please i’m having issue deploying to a digitalocean droplet (Ubuntu 16.04.3).

Please find below the error details:

Output of the command is shown above and the command executed
on that host is printed below for debugging purposes:

FAILED with exit status 255:

    current_shell="$0" || :
    [ -z "$current_shell" ] && current_shell="$SHELL"
    case "$current_shell" in
      (*bash*) echo 'bash is installed and the default shell'  ;;
      (*zsh*)  echo  'zsh is installed and the default shell'  ;;
      (*)
       echo
       echo "You are using an unsupported shell: '$current_shell'"
       echo "edeliver requires either bash or zsh to be installed"
       echo "and the default shell for the build user 'kehinde'"
       echo "on your build host: '46.101.30.23'."
       exit 1
       ;;
    esac
    set -e
    if [ ! -d /home/kehinde/app_name/builds ]
    then
      mkdir -p /home/kehinde/app_name/builds
      cd /home/kehinde/app_name/builds
      git init
      git config receive.denyCurrentBranch ignore
    else
      cd /home/kehinde/app_name/builds
      git config receive.denyCurrentBranch ignore
    fi

Showing Posts 1 to 10

papakay

papakay OP

# /etc/shells: valid login shells
/bin/sh
/bin/dash
/bin/bash
/bin/rbash
/usr/bin/tmux
/usr/bin/screen
/bin/csh
kokolegorille

kokolegorille

The shell used is the one defined for the user kehinde.

You could get this information on your server with…

$ cat /etc/passwd | grep kehinde

My bet is your deployement user is defined to use /bin/sh :slight_smile:

You can change this with

$ sudo usermod -s /bin/bash kehinde

If You have access to sudo.

papakay

papakay OP

Thanks immensely @kokolegorille.

The output of cat /etc/passwd | grep kehinde

kehinde:x:1001:1001:,,,:/home/kehinde:/bin/bash

I believe this output already shows that the default shell is /bin/bash.

kokolegorille

kokolegorille

Yes it does… the shell used is the last field

papakay

papakay OP

The output of this is

no changes
papakay

papakay OP

Please i’m a little bit curious about the localhost under the authorizing 46.101.30.23 on localhost Does this have anything to do with the error?

-----> Authorizing hosts
Authorizing 46.101.30.23 on localhost:
-----> Ensuring hosts are ready to accept git pushes

A remote command failed on:

  kehinde@46.101.30.23

Output of the command is shown above and the command executed
on that host is printed below for debugging purposes:

FAILED with exit status 255:

    current_shell="$0" || :
    [ -z "$current_shell" ] && current_shell="$SHELL"
    case "$current_shell" in
      (*bash*) echo 'bash is installed and the default shell'  ;;
      (*zsh*)  echo  'zsh is installed and the default shell'  ;;
      (*)
       echo
       echo "You are using an unsupported shell: '$current_shell'"
       echo "edeliver requires either bash or zsh to be installed"
       echo "and the default shell for the build user 'kehinde'"
       echo "on your build host: '46.101.30.23'."
       exit 1
       ;;
    esac
    set -e
    if [ ! -d /home/kehinde/enterprise/builds ]
    then
      mkdir -p /home/kehinde/enterprise/builds
      cd /home/kehinde/enterprise/builds
      git init
      git config receive.denyCurrentBranch ignore
    else
      cd /home/kehinde/enterprise/builds
      git config receive.denyCurrentBranch ignore
    fi
kokolegorille

kokolegorille

I am sorry, I have little experience with edeliver as I deploy manually.

But what I can tell is the user shell is ok, that would mean the rest is in error.

I cannot really help You, but I would try to run each commands separately, to check which one is failing.

alexandrubagu

alexandrubagu

Do you have git installed ? Edeliver adds your build machine as remote and uses the ssh protocol to push the source code of your app there. you can check that by running git remote -v show in you project directory after building on the build host. It shows something like that:

$ git remote -v show
$BUILD_USER@$BUILD_HOST $BUILD_USER@$BUILD_HOST:$BUILD_AT (fetch)
$BUILD_USER@$BUILD_HOST $BUILD_USER@$BUILD_HOST:$BUILD_AT (push)
origin git@your_remote(fetch)
origin git@your_remote(push)
papakay

papakay OP

papakay

papakay OP

Thanks so much @alexandrubagu. Yes i have git installed on the build host. Please see below the output of the command.

$ git remote -v show
kehinde@46.101.30.23	kehinde@46.101.30.23:/home/kehinde/enterprise/builds (fetch)
kehinde@46.101.30.23	kehinde@46.101.30.23:/home/kehinde/enterprise/builds (push)
origin	https://kehindealabi@bitbucket.org/afribary_dev/enterprise.git (fetch)
origin	https://kehindealabi@bitbucket.org/afribary_dev/enterprise.git (push)

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
peck
Hi everyone. My team and I have been working on a fairly modest app based around video streaming and chat, but we’ve landed a customer t...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
Alvinkariuki
How Can I Optimise Compile Time Dependencies I have been building an elixir application for about 2 years now. Many modules and files ha...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
juhalehtonen
There has been a thread to discuss the Stack Overflow Developer Survey on this forum every year since 2018, so here’s yet another one for...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews