blackode

blackode

Hi, Wish You All Happy New Year 2020 won = 2021

I wish to use :telemetry in one of my projects. I’m novice in this topic.
After reading docs and some articles, it’s tempting to use it.

The using of this lib giving me the feeling of a pro coder.

Requirement

I need to measure the profile_visits I have an endpoint something like GET /profiles/profile_id When ever the people visits that particular route I have to track down the count of that particular route visits.

Schema

table -> profile_visits 
columns -> id, profile_id, count

My Current Solution

I simply updating the count value by calling Repo.update and increasing the count value by +1 where profile_id == <<profile_id>>

Now, I’m trying to move to telemetry.
To achieve I need to write a lot of lines includes custom_event custom_listener comparing to above solution which I felt simple.

Eventually, The logic of insertion metric and exraction of metric is same.

After this I have couple of questions that is keeps me away from using telemetry in the project.

Is telemetry not for such simple measurements?
Is this recommended approach to use telemetry for this kinda requirements?
Do we have any advantages to use telemetry over my approach current solution?

Glad if some experts helps us so we can grab the more developers to use telemetry

Showing Posts 1 to 3

blackode

blackode OP

Any suggestions please?

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

It depends. Is the counter really a “metric” or is that tracking part of the service you’re providing? If it’s the first one then telemetry is imo the way to go. If not than your solution seems like the appropriate one.

Telemetry is way more than just means of updating a number in some database. It’s a generalized and structured way of publishing events in your application code, so you can listen to those in places external to your core business logic for (pre)-processing, aggregation and eventual forwarding to things like persistent storages, dashboards and similar tools for inspecting the inner workings of your project.

The pubsub architecture allows for quite lean code needing to be added to your business logic for instrumentation, compared to doing everything mentioned above in place, which can sometimes even make the business logic non-obvious because of all the additional stuff going on. Also what you actually listen on is not scattered across your whole codebase.

The other benefit is that given telemetry becomes more and more the standard in elixir libraries you can use one tool to not only instrument your code, but also to listen to events published by the libraries you’re using.

Another benefit of also letting people create their own listeners: It’s quite flexible to allow for situations like pushing metrics to a not yet natively supported service/db, allow for different sets of metrics to be sent to different endpoints.

All that flexibility comes for the price of a bit more upfront cost in implementation. It’s not just a single line Repo.update.

blackode

blackode OP

Thanks a lot :slight_smile:
This clears most of the doubts on usage.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
georgeguimaraes
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews