jeroen11dijk

jeroen11dijk

I made my own authentication forms using ash_authentication as basis so I have more flexibility especially when it comes to styling. It works for almost everything only the validations does not work for :request_password_reset_with_password. I set up my form like:

    form =
      AshPhoenix.Form.for_action(User, :request_password_reset_with_password,
        api: Account,
        as: "user",
        context: %{private: %{ash_authentication?: true}}
      )
      |> to_form()

And it does enter my validate form:

  def handle_event("validate", %{"user" => params}, socket) do
    %{form: form} = socket.assigns
    form = AshPhoenix.Form.validate(form, params)
    {:noreply, assign(socket, form: form)}
  end

where user has a validation on email:

  validations do
    validate match(:email, ~r/(^[a-zA-Z0-9._%+-]+@[a-zA-Z0-9.-]+\.[a-zA-Z]{2,}$)/) do
      message "must be a valid email address"
    end
  end

And which also works for the registration form so Im not sure what Im doing wrong. Only resource I found was a discord archived support page where it was said to use:
context: %{private: %{ash_authentication?: true}}. But all of the examples of what Im trying to do can just use the validate and it seems to work, although using a bit of a different setup so if more information is needed let me know.

Showing Posts 1 to 3

zachdaniel

zachdaniel

Creator of Ash

Interesting :thinking:. I don’t think you’ll want to use that context thing, thats kind of a hack (and likely would have no effect in this case). When you say it doesn’t work do you mean the validation is not applied? Can you show the output of Ash.Resource.Info.action(User, :request_password_reset_with_password)?

jeroen11dijk

jeroen11dijk OP

That would be:

 %Ash.Resource.Actions.Read{
  arguments: [
    %Ash.Resource.Actions.Argument{
      allow_nil?: false,
      type: Ash.Type.CiString,
      name: :email,
      default: nil,
      private?: false,
      sensitive?: false,
      description: "The proposed identity to send reset instructions to.",
      constraints: [casing: nil, allow_empty?: false, trim?: true]
    }
  ],
  description: "Send password reset instructions to a user if they exist.",
  filter: nil,
  get_by: [],
  get?: false,
  manual: nil,
  metadata: [],
  modify_query: nil,
  name: :request_password_reset_with_password,
  pagination: false,
  preparations: [
    %Ash.Resource.Preparation{
      preparation: {AshAuthentication.Strategy.Password.RequestPasswordResetPreparation,
       []}
    }
  ],
  primary?: false,
  touches_resources: [],
  timeout: nil,
  transaction?: false,
  type: :read
}
zachdaniel

zachdaniel

Creator of Ash

Ah, okay, right. So, unfortunately, validations don’t work on read actions. I’ve been meaning to add a compatibility layer for this to allow validations to support queries in addition to change sets (essentially operating only on arguments). In the meantime, what you will need to do to work around this is add a preparation.

preparations do
  prepare ValidateEmail, where: [action_is(:request_password_reset_with_password)]
end

That ValidateEmail would be a standard hand-written preparation.

This is a pretty clear thing we can improve in the framework, and I hope to address this soon to make it a better experience.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews