holasoymas

holasoymas

nested_dict.exs

defmodule Customer do
  defstruct name: "", company: ""
end

defmodule BugReport do
  defstruct owner: %Customer{}, details: "", severity: 1
end

I got this error after writing this in iex
iex(1)> c "nested_dict.exs"

error: Customer.__struct__/1 is undefined, cannot expand struct Customer. Make sure the struct name is correct. If the struct name exists and is 
correct but it still cannot be found, you likely have cyclic module usage in your code
    │
  4 │   owner: %Customer{name: "Dave", company: "PragProg"},
    │          ^
    │
    └─ nested_dict.exs:4:10

I also try running it using elixir nested_dict.exs got the same error.


I again also run them in through different file:

Customer.exs

defmodule Customer do
  defstruct name: "", company: ""
end

nested_dict_api.exs

Code.require_file("Customer.exs")

defmodule BugReport do
  defstruct owner: %Customer{}, details: ""
end

nested_dict.exs

Code.require_file("nested_dict_api.exs")

report = %BugReport{
  owner: %Customer{name: "Dave", company: "PragProg"},
  details: "broken"
}

IO.inspect(report)

Again, the same error ,

I am pretty sure that there are no typo in my code as fas as i know

Can someone please tell me what’s wrong in my code and how to solve it ?

Thank you,

Elixir : 1.17.0 (compiled with Erlang/OTP 27)
OS : Linux Mint 21

Showing Posts 1 to 3

al2o3cr

al2o3cr

Can you post the exact contents of nested_dict.exs? Line 4 doesn’t match what’s in your post, and the ordering of Customer and BugReport in the file is important.

Eiji

Eiji

That’s a scope problem in iex and single file scripts. Since everything is compiled at once (not each file into .beam file inside _build directory) the code must work as custom modules are not defined at compile-time. Using them run-time is definitely not a problem. This behaviour is not best, but very reasonable.

This should do the job:

defmodule Customer do
  defstruct name: "", company: ""
end

defmodule BugReport do
  defstruct owner: nil, details: "", severity: 1

  def new(data \\ %{}, customer \\ nil) do
    owner = case customer do
      struct when is_struct(struct, Customer) -> struct
      map_or_list when is_map(map_or_list) or is_list(map_or_list) -> struct(Customer, map_or_list)
      _customer -> %Customer{}
    end

    map = Map.new(data)
    struct(%__MODULE__{owner: owner}, map)
  end
end

This allows us to write code like:

iex> BugReport.new()
%BugReport{owner: %Customer{name: "", company: ""}, details: "", severity: 1}

iex> BugReport.new(details: "…")
%BugReport{owner: %Customer{name: "", company: ""}, details: "…", severity: 1}

iex> BugReport.new([], [name: "xyz"])
%BugReport{owner: %Customer{name: "xyz", company: ""}, details: "", severity: 1}

In both cases you are able to use Keyword lists as well as Map and in customer case also Customer struct (of course as long as call with %Customer{…} argument is in run-time).

holasoymas

holasoymas OP

defmodule Customer do
  defstruct name: "", company: ""
end

defmodule BugReport do
  defstruct owner: %Customer{}, details: ""
end

report = %BugReport{
  owner: %Customer{name: "Dave", company: "PragProg"},  # this is line 10, error line  
  details: "broken"
}
  error: cannot access struct Customer, the struct was not yet defined or the struct is being accessed in the same context that defines it
    │
 10 │   owner: %Customer{name: "Dave", company: "PragProg"},
    │          ^
    │
    └─ nested_dict_api.exs:10:10

** (CompileError) nested_dict_api.exs: cannot compile file (errors have been logged)

NOTE, this is when i put all my modules in one file.


when i put all modules in different file
#Customer.exs
defmodule Customer do
  defstruct name: "", company: ""
end
#nested_dict_api.exs
Code.require_file("Customer.exs")

defmodule BugReport do
  defstruct owner: %Customer{}, details: ""
end
#nested_dict.exs
Code.require_file("nested_dict_api.exs")
Code.require_file("Customer.exs")

report = %BugReport{
  owner: %Customer{name: "Dave", company: "PragProg"},   #error is here on line, line 5 
  details: "broken"
}

IO.inspect(report)

error

    error: Customer.__struct__/1 is undefined, cannot expand struct Customer. Make sure the struct name is correct. If the struct name exists and is 
correct but it still cannot be found, you likely have cyclic module usage in your code
    │
  5 │   owner: %Customer{name: "Dave", company: "PragProg"},
    │          ^
    │
    └─ nested_dict.exs:5:10

** (CompileError) nested_dict.exs: cannot compile file (errors have been logged)

Both method WORK ON iex but not on elixir <filename>.exs command

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
velrest
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI. Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews