benlime
I created a new library GitHub - benvp/ex_cva: Class Variance Authority for Elixir · GitHub which aims to make it very easy to define different variations of function components. I experimented and tweeted about it a bit and I really like how the api is looking now.
This library is heavily inspired by the amazing work of Joe Bell on GitHub - joe-bell/cva: Class Variance Authority · GitHub in the JS world. The approach reasonates so much with me, that I wanted to have something similar in the elixir world.
What do you guys think?
Trending in Announcing
WebAuthnLiveComponent WebAuthnComponents
See this post about renaming the package.
Passwordless authentication for Phoenix LiveView app...
New
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I released Doggo, a collection of unstyled Phoenix components.
https://github.com/woylie/doggo
Features
Unstyled Phoenix components....
New
Hi everyone,
I’ve been working on this protobuf library for 3 years. We use it in the company I work for, EasyMile, to communicate with ...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
I’ll shortly be launching Text, a nascent text analysis library.
Current functionality
In this early version (not ready for prime time) ...
New
Other Trending Topics
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
With AI doing more of the implementation work, I’ve been wondering how much coding I should deliberately keep doing myself.
My main conc...
New
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with.
But I don’t use it anymore.
Serverless was the promis...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex











Showing Posts 1 to 6- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
LostKobrakai
I just had a quick look at the readme, but wanted to leave a thank you for retaining the simple functional API. Macros are great, but I’d be worried wrapping
Phoenix.Componentthat things will break with future liveview versions, but I can see myself using the plain API.benlime
I separated the both apis because they are building upon each other. So the core logic is just constructing the proper class names and the declarative api is build upon it to make it a little more convenient.
I understand that something potentially could break on new LiveView versions but I’d argue that the risk is quite low. The macro based approach essentially
Phoenix.Component.attr/3calls withvaluesderived from the variant.Phoenix.Component.assign/2. This is the same approach which LiveView does internally for declarative components.I’m not touching LiveView internals and only use public apis.
Scenarios where it could potentially break:
attr/3api in a breaking manner.I think that’s both pretty unlikely. And even if it happens, as the cva macros api is very thin layer.
benlime
I just released version
0.1.2ofex_cvaand improved the docs a bit after receiving some feedback.The version fixes an issue which would always apply
classassigns if it was present, even if@classhas not been explicitly passed into the component. This could end up in having duplicate classes if a component configures variants and accepts aclassassign.jondelmil
Thanks for the very nice library!
I’m curious how you recommend dealing with variants that arise from the presence of HTML attributes. For instance,
vs
should be styled differently.
In my example above, the original CVA lib seems to recommend making
disabledanotherintentvariant which I’ve done for now, but do you have advice for composing these more easily?benlime
Thanks for bringing that up Jon. I found a few things in the library when using that approach.
In general I agree with the way the original CVA library recommends on handling things like
disabled. Adding a new boolean variant if the way to go. Otherwise you could also add classes with the:disabledcss pseudoclasses to style the button, when it’s disabled.Starting with
0.2.0of ex_cva you can do sth like the post recommended. Read below.benlime
I just release version
0.2.0of ex_cva.[v0.2.0] (2022-12-06)
Improvements
variant/2now properly supports boolean values. You can now do something like the following: