alishir
Hi all, I have the following simple snippet but I got cyclic module usage error. Do you know how should I resolve the error?
defmodule Cycle do
alias Cycle.Handle
def hello(%Handle{resource: _resource}) do
:world
end
defmodule Handle do
defstruct resource: nil, reference: nil
def wrap_resource(resource) do
%__MODULE__{
resource: resource,
reference: make_ref()
}
end
end
end
The error is:
== Compilation error in file lib/cycle.ex ==
** (CompileError) lib/cycle.ex:16: Cycle.Handle.__struct__/0 is undefined, cannot expand struct Cycle.Handle. Make sure the struct name is correct. If the struct name exists and is correct but it still cannot be found, you likely have cyclic module usage in your code
lib/cycle.ex:16: (module)
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 4- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
Qqwy
The problem is that to compile
Cycle, you needCycle.Handle.Cycle.Handledoes not really depends onCycle. However, since both are in the same file, it still ‘sort of’ depends on it.And as a result, the compiler is unable to continue.
The solution is to move the nested module to a separate file.
LostKobrakai
Cycledepends onCycle.Handleat compile time (struct usage requires keys to be known), butCycle.Handlecannot be compliled withoutCyclebeing compiled. So you’re in a cyclic dependency. You’ll either need to use different files or putCycle.Handle’s definition before and outside ofCycle’s definition.Nicd
We don’t need to be that drastic in fact, we can just move the
Handledefinition higher up in the file. This will work:Note that the alias is also not needed.
I use this style quite often with my GenServers to define Options and State structs, like this example: lib/geo_therminator/pump_api/device/server.ex · 8fa72cbfa5b0402c46c53e13e5e994bf5a390f89 · Mikko Ahlroth / GeoTherminator · GitLab
alishir
I thank all of you @Qqwy, @LostKobrakai and @Nicd.