ericlathrop

ericlathrop

I needed to parse some data: URLs to get the binary data, and the built-in URI module didn’t do it. So here’s a small library for parsing them. If someone wants to add %DataUrl{} → to_string(), I’d gladly accept it.

From the README:

data_url

Hex.pm Documentation

Parse data: URLs and access the data contained therein

Usage

iex(1)> DataUrl.parse("data:text/plain;charset=ISO-8859-1;base64,SGVsbG8sIFdvcmxkIQ==")
{:ok,
 %DataUrl{data: "Hello, World!", mime_type: "text/plain;charset=ISO-8859-1"}}

Showing Posts 1 to 6

kip

kip

ex_cldr Core Team

ex_url also parses data URIs (as well as geo, tel, mailto and uuid URIs). It also includes a to_string/1 function :slight_smile:

iex> URL.parse "data:text/plain;charset=ISO-8859-1;base64,SGVsbG8sIFdvcmxkIQ=="                   
%URL{
  authority: nil,
  fragment: nil,
  host: nil,
  parsed_path: %URL.Data{
    data: "Hello, World!",
    mediatype: "text/plain",
    params: %{"charset" => "ISO-8859-1", "encoding" => "base64"}
  },
  path: "text/plain;charset=ISO-8859-1;base64,SGVsbG8sIFdvcmxkIQ==",
  port: nil,
  query: nil,
  scheme: "data",
  userinfo: nil
}

iex> URL.parse("data:text/plain;charset=ISO-8859-1;base64,SGVsbG8sIFdvcmxkIQ==") |> URL.to_string
"data:text/plain;charset=ISO-8859-1;base64,SGVsbG8sIFdvcmxkIQ=="

(I’m the author)

ericlathrop

ericlathrop OP

Cool! I did try searching hex & elsewhere for a library to parse data URLs before making this. I did manage to eventually find ex_url, but there were a few minor issues I saw with it so I decided to publish data_url anyway. Maybe I should just make a PR to ex_url.

  1. the charset should default to US-ASCII if the mediatype is omitted
  2. the charset is part of the media type, not a separate thing. If it were to be parsed, I’d prefer a separate MimeType struct.
  3. URL.parse("data:") explodes, but I would prefer an :error
  4. URL.parse("data:;base64,=") explodes, but I would prefer an :error
kip

kip

ex_cldr Core Team

Wow, appreciate the bug reports - thank you! I’m on it right away.

Also, hope I didn’t seem like I was hijacking your announcement - great to see new libraries getting built. Well done and much appreciated.

Now back to some bug eradication :slight_smile:

kip

kip

ex_cldr Core Team

On reviewing RFC 6838 it seems like UTF-8 should now be considered the default charset parameter for a mediatype? Your thoughts?

From Section 4.2.1:

If a “charset” parameter is specified, it SHOULD be a required parameter, eliminating the options of specifying a default value. If there is a strong reason for the parameter to be optional despite this advice, each subtype MAY specify its own default value, or alternatively, it MAY specify that there is no default value. Finally, the “UTF-8” charset [RFC3629] SHOULD be selected as the default. See [RFC6657] for additional information on the use of “charset” parameters in conjunction with subtypes of text.

Regardless of what approach is chosen, all new text/* registrations MUST clearly specify how the charset is determined; relying on the US-ASCII default defined in Section 4.1.2 of [RFC2046] is no longer permitted. If explanatory text is needed, this SHOULD be placed in the additional information section of the registration.

ericlathrop

ericlathrop OP

I was going mostly off this MDN page, which refers to RFC2397 which says:

If <mediatype> is omitted, it defaults to text/plain;charset=US-ASCII. As a shorthand,
“text/plain” can be omitted but the charset parameter supplied.

kip

kip

ex_cldr Core Team

Good call. I suspect is a case of RFP’s falling out of sync but I agree, US-ASCII it is.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Announcing Top

type1fool
WebAuthnLiveComponent WebAuthnComponents See this post about renaming the package. Passwordless authentication for Phoenix LiveView app...
New
GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
woylie
I released Doggo, a collection of unstyled Phoenix components. https://github.com/woylie/doggo Features Unstyled Phoenix components....
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
ahamez
Hi everyone, I’ve been working on this protobuf library for 3 years. We use it in the company I work for, EasyMile, to communicate with ...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
kip
I’ll shortly be launching Text, a nascent text analysis library. Current functionality In this early version (not ready for prime time) ...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
webofbits
With AI doing more of the implementation work, I’ve been wondering how much coding I should deliberately keep doing myself. My main conc...
#ai
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New
bartblast
Hey folks, I just published a post about Hologram’s funding and where the project goes next - the short version: Curiosum as Main Spons...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews