NobbZ

NobbZ

For some python projects at work we found that there are pytest-{postgres,mysql,redis} and probably more.

These tools take the burden off of you to maintain a Dev database locally which you need to configure your in Dev applications accordingly.

Those are basically plugins for pytest, which use the fixture mechanism of pytest to provide temporary “installations” of the tool in question, “persisting” it’s data into temporary folders and removing after the suite has run.

Even though this has an obvious runtime cost to initialise the tooling for each test run, it really made onboarding the junior quite easy. We just told them to install mysql package for their Ubuntu WSL and told them to run make test which wrapped the actual test run with proper command line arguments. No need to walk them through configuring a local mysql or having remember to run some docker(-compose) whenever changing projects.

Has anyone seen something similar for elixir or is there any interest in it?

Showing Posts 1 to 9

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

I am sorry, what exactly do those packages do? Didn’t get it. What tool? What temporary installations? Why once per test? Could you clarify?

webuhu

webuhu

I archive this behavior by using Nix.
At least it works perfectly with running PostgreSQL in a temporary directory.

→ GitHub - webuhu/elixir_nix_example · GitHub

The probably interesting PostgreSQL part under:
https://github.com/cw789/elixir_nix_example/blob/main/pkg/temporary_postgresql_db.nix

So it means within WSL - install Nix - run nix-shell command x…
If you run the command a second time, runtime cost isn’t anymore much higher.

NobbZ

NobbZ OP

Yeah, using nix such a thing is easy, I know, though even I wrap most of my stuff in flakes nowadays, I try to make it that potential contributors don’t need nix installed.

webuhu

webuhu

That would be wonderful. Difficult onboarding is always an issue.

NobbZ

NobbZ OP

They start the tool they are made for, eg mysql, and remove its runtime folders afterwards. It does not affect any potentially running instances of that software that might already be on the system.

And it’s not per test, but per run.

So only the first test hitting the database is actually slow as it needs to wait for everything beeing set up.

As I said already it comes with a low cost for setting things up, and might also enable to test behaviour against different database versions.

webuhu

webuhu

So I’m not aware of anything like this deticated for Elixir and not using Docker.
But I think without any container or virtual machine sandboxing it is difficult to not affect any other running instances.
But I’m of course interested.

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

I’m still not sure I get it.

Are you talking about something like the PGDATA environment variable that allows you to specify where will PostgreSQL store its data? I’ve had projects where that was used to kinda sorta enforce some isolation.

NobbZ

NobbZ OP

We used the MySQL version of those plugins, that basically starts a mysql demon with a configuration pointing the data dir to somewhere in tmp, listening on specified ports or domain sockets.

It manages the full database application lifecycle.

dallagi

dallagi

If I understood your requirement correctly, you may be interested in excontainers, a library I developed to tackle exactly this problem.

Unfortunately it has not seen much adoption yet, but in case you decide to give it a try I’d be happy to hear about any problem you may encounter or any feedback you may have :slight_smile:

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Discussions Top

cblavier
Hey there, It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
axelson
Hi there! :wave: @frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
achempion
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New
jtormey
Lately I’ve been thinking about how to organize components as a LiveView application grows. One of the pain points I’ve found (for myself...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
georgeguimaraes
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews