kylevsteger
Hey all! I’m having trouble with Absinthe and Dataloader when trying to resolve friends of a user.
I was able to load the friends without much issue, but now I’m trying to add a status to the response, which lives on the join table.
The last chunk in the code below is where I’m struggling. Any insight is much appreciated! Thanks!
# User Ecto Schema
@primary_key {:id, :binary_id, autogenerate: true}
schema "users" do
...
has_many :friends_assoc, Friend, foreign_key: :user_id
has_many :reverse_friends_assoc, Friend, foreign_key: :friend_id
has_many :friends, through: [:friends_assoc, :friend]
has_many :reverse_friends, through: [:reverse_friends_assoc, :user]
end
# Friend Ecto Schema
@primary_key {:id, :binary_id, autogenerate: true}
schema "friends" do
field :status, FriendStatus
belongs_to :user, User, type: :binary_id
belongs_to :friend, User, type: :binary_id
end
# User Absinthe Schema
object :user do
field :id, non_null(:string)
...
field :friends, list_of(:friend) do
arg :status, :friend_status
# This ultimately points to: `Dataloader.Ecto.new(Repo, query: fn _, args -> generate_query(args) end)`
resolve dataloader(User)
end
end
# Friend Absinthe Schema
object :friend do
field :id, :string
field :first_name, :string
field :last_name, :string
# This comes back as `null` on the GraphQL response
# because it's not on the Ecto User schema
# but I'm not sure how to remedy the situation
field :status, :friend_status
end
UPDATE
I wound up going with a custom Dataloader.KV that points to this function
@doc """
Queries the database for Users and loads their friends.
"""
@spec get_friends_with_status([Ecto.UUID.t()], map()) :: map()
def get_friends_with_status(ids, %{status: status} = _args) do
query = from u in User,
left_join: fa in assoc(u, :friends_assoc),
left_join: fr in assoc(fa, :friend),
where: u.id in ^ids,
where: fa.status == ^status,
select: %{
user_id: u.id,
friend: %{
first_name: fr.first_name,
last_name: fr.last_name,
email: fr.email,
id: fr.id,
status: fa.status
}
}
id_map = Map.new(ids, & {&1, []})
query
|> Repo.all()
|> Enum.reduce(id_map, fn %{user_id: user_id, friend: friend}, acc ->
Map.update(acc, user_id, [friend], fn
friends -> [friend | friends]
end)
end)
end
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 2- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
fuelen
Hello!
Personally I would go with another graphql schema.
:friendobject is context-specific. It has anidof the user, but differentstatusdepending on parent record. This is error-prone, because GraphQL client on frontend side MAY use simple caching byidfield only, so other users may borrow friends.To avoid this you have to use an
idfrom thefriendstable. But it would be simpler to expose:userassociation:kylevsteger
Thanks for the suggestion! I would up going with this implementation