benonymus

benonymus

Hey there,

I have this code:

from(
      ge in query,
      join: e in assoc(ge, :event),
      where: e.start_date <= ^date
    )

As we know this can cause problems because of the date/datetime comparisons as it is described here for example : Date — Elixir v1.20.2

my questions is then how could I use DateTime.compare/2 with e.start_date here as the first argument?

Showing Posts 1 to 4

NobbZ

NobbZ

As far as I remember, ecto does translate this into proper comparison on the SQL level, and the DateDtime struct isn’t actually involved in the comparison.

benonymus

benonymus OP

It seems like we have this phantom bug that a counter depending on this sometimes is not correct

alxvallejo

alxvallejo

@NobbZ - Are you suggesting you can use normal comparison operators in the query and that solutions such as this: Comparing dates and times in Elixir with Ecto - DockYard are pointless?

@benonymus - I’m not even sure what you’re saying

NobbZ

NobbZ

The linked article is 4 years old and probably refers to a version of elixir that is not only deprecated but literally dead.

At the time the article got released, ecto 1.0.7 was current. Today we are at 3.2.2.

The Ecto.DateTime module has been deprecated in 2.2.4.

So I won’t say that article is pointless, I’d just say its not applicable anymore today, but it might have had its worth back the day it has been published.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews