umair-iftikhar

umair-iftikhar

I am dealing with DateTime in Elixir. I want to change my Time Zone and date format. 2019/02/06 23:10 is my required format here. But when I use <%= "#{NaiveDateTime.utc_now}" %> This 2019-03-01 06:23:20.443620 shown.

I also want to change my timezone. Toronto, ON, Canada (GMT-5)

Showing Posts 1 to 3

NobbZ

NobbZ

You need to use Timex, it provides functions for TZ conversion and formatting.

umair-iftikhar

umair-iftikhar OP

After I Add this in my system, System stop working and start sowing me errors.

To use Timex with my projects, edit my mix.exs file and add it as a dependency, as well as I added :timex to my applications list.

def application do
  [
      mod: {GenPrNew.Application, []},
      extra_applications: [:logger, :runtime_tools],
      applications: [:timex]
  ]
end

defp deps do
  [
      {:phoenix, "~> 1.4.1"},
      {:phoenix_pubsub, "~> 1.1"},
      {:phoenix_ecto, "~> 4.0"},
      {:ecto_sql, "~> 3.0"},
      {:postgrex, ">= 0.0.0"},
      {:phoenix_html, "~> 2.11"},
      {:phoenix_live_reload, "~> 1.2", only: :dev},
      {:gettext, "~> 0.11"},
      {:jason, "~> 1.0"},
      {:plug_cowboy, "~> 2.0"},
      {:timex, "~> 3.0"}
  ]
end

Then after running mix deps.get I start the server and have the following errors.

Compiling 13 files (.ex)
Generated gen_pr_new app
[info] Application gen_pr_new exited: GenPrNew.Application.start(:normal, []) returned an error: shutdown: failed to start child: GenPrNew.Repo
    ** (EXIT) shutdown: failed to start child: DBConnection.ConnectionPool
        ** (EXIT) exited in: GenServer.call(DBConnection.Watcher, {:watch, DBConnection.ConnectionPool.PoolSupervisor, [#PID<0.364.0>, #Referen
ce<0.2753608256.129368067.63218>, Postgrex.Protocol, [types: Postgrex.DefaultTypes, port: 5432, repo: GenPrNew.Repo, telemetry_prefix: [:gen_pr
_new, :repo], otp_app: :gen_pr_new, timeout: 15000, username: "postgres", password: "", database: "gen_pr_new_dev", hostname: "localhost", pool
_size: 10, pool: DBConnection.ConnectionPool]]}, :infinity)
            ** (EXIT) no process: the process is not alive or there's no process currently associated with the given name, possibly because its

 application isn't started
** (Mix) Could not start application gen_pr_new: GenPrNew.Application.start(:normal, []) returned an error: shutdown: failed to start child: Ge
nPrNew.Repo
    ** (EXIT) shutdown: failed to start child: DBConnection.ConnectionPool
        ** (EXIT) exited in: GenServer.call(DBConnection.Watcher, {:watch, DBConnection.ConnectionPool.PoolSupervisor, [#PID<0.364.0>, #Referen
ce<0.2753608256.129368067.63218>, Postgrex.Protocol, [types: Postgrex.DefaultTypes, port: 5432, repo: GenPrNew.Repo, telemetry_prefix: [:gen_pr
_new, :repo], otp_app: :gen_pr_new, timeout: 15000, username: "postgres", password: "", database: "gen_pr_new_dev", hostname: "localhost", pool
_size: 10, pool: DBConnection.ConnectionPool]]}, :infinity)
            ** (EXIT) no process: the process is not alive or there's no process currently associated with the given name, possibly because its
 application isn't started
wojtekmach

wojtekmach

Hex Core Team

By setting applications: key you’re no longer using “application inference” [1], so you’d have to explicitly put all dependencies there if you want them started. The lack of :db_connection in the application list causes the crash.

It’s best not to set applications: key explicitly, and let inference do it’s work. Timex should probably show how to install it with and without application inference, if it doesn’t, I think a PR to update docs is likely to get accepted.

Worth mentioning that as of Elixir v1.8 you no longer need to use Timex to convert between timezones, this functionality is now available in stdlib using DateTime.shift_zone/3. You’d need a timezone database like the one provided by tzdata package [2]

There’re no built-in formatting options other than ISO 8601, so if you need to have a custom format you need to roll your own or bring in Timex. If formatting would be the only reason to bring Timex though, I’d reconsider that.

[1] elixir/CHANGELOG.md at v1.4 · elixir-lang/elixir · GitHub
[2] tzdata | Hex

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Discussions Top

cblavier
Hey there, It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
achempion
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
axelson
Hi there! :wave: @frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

beepbeepbopbop
SuperAPI will be hosting the Melbourne Elixir meetup this Thursday, October 1st. The event will be held at Level 2, 525 Collins St (Rialt...
New
GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
georgeguimaraes
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews