coen.bakker

coen.bakker

I appreciate being able to use AlpineJS inside my render functions, but often I catch myself wishing I could use Svelte syntax instead. And have the compiler turn the Svelte code to plain JS.

What do you think: how messy would that implementation get?

For example:

defmodule AppWeb.PageLive
  use Surface.LiveView

  def render(assigns) do
    ~F"""
      <div id="page">
        {#if @value and count == 0}
          <SurfaceComponent id="surface-component"/>
        {#else}
          <AnotherSurfaceComponent id="another-surface-component"/>
        {/if}

        <button on:click={handleClick}>
          Clicked {count} {count === 1 ? 'time' : 'times'}
        </button>
      </div>

    <script>
      let count = 0

      function handleClick() {
        count += 1
      }
    </script>
    """
  end
end

I am well aware that there are syntax conflicts right from the get-go between Svelte/JavaScript and Elixir/Phoenix/Surface. I reckon the best way of integrating Svelte is… not doing so. But rather extending Surface functionality into the JavaScript domain, or building a compiler layer on top of Phoenix from scratch – and being ‘inspired’ by Svelte.

Would it be a relieve to have such a tool… or not?

Showing Posts 1 to 6

cmo

cmo

{#if @value and count == 0}

How does the server rendered page get the count value from the front-end?

coen.bakker

coen.bakker OP

I’m thinking that the compiler could intervene. The syntax should first be altered, of course, to make it possible for the compiler to discriminate between Elixir variables and JavaScript variables.

For example, the syntax could use % … ; to indicate a JavaScript variable or expression, like: {#if @value and %count == 0;}. Not sure if % is reserved by Elixir or not – but could be another symbol.

A more elaborate example:

defmodule AppWeb.PageLive
  use Surface.LiveView

  def render(assigns) do
    ~F"""
      <div id="page">
        {#if @value and %count == 0;}
          <SurfaceComponent id="surface-component"/>
        {#else}
          <AnotherSurfaceComponent id="another-surface-component"/>
        {/if}

        <button on:click=%handleClick;>
          Clicked %count; %count === 1 ? 'time' : 'times';
        </button>
      </div>

    <script>
      let count = 0

      function handleClick() {
        count += 1
      }
    </script>
    """
  end
end

I can imagine that once you have solved all the possible syntax collisions, you could end up with (hopefully) pleasant syntax to work with. Not convinced myself, tbo, that that assumption is valid, but can’t help wondering.

hst337

hst337

I think it is writable, but it is just way too much magic to handle
First, you’ll need to precompute expression on elixir (server) side
Second, you’ll need to translate what’s left into Javascript (or write Elixir interpreter in javascript)
Third, you’ll need to make it interconnected back-and-forth with Javascript and Elixir components

This is just way too much magic. If I had a goal to achieve something like this, I would look into web assembly for client side

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

What I considered, but never managed to try, with svelte would be using svelte client side only and use a custom svelte store to communicate to the backend, which today could possibly even be something like live_json, though plain channels might work as well.

coen.bakker

coen.bakker OP

This part could be implemented as: only render this here on the server if @value (server) and count == 0 (JavaScript variable passed automatically to backend). But it could also be implemented as: only render this here on the server if @value (server) and if/once it is sent to the client only display/mount if count == 0.

The former is much more magical than the latter, I would say. And also more painful to implement. The latter option still gives you the syntax and the compiled JavaScript.

coen.bakker

coen.bakker OP

Interesting. Have an idea what it might be, but what do you have in mind? In general terms how would you utilize WA?

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Discussions Top

cblavier
Hey there, It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
axelson
Hi there! :wave: @frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
achempion
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
georgeguimaraes
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New
Dmk
Xamal is a deployment tool for Elixir apps that deploys native releases to bare metal servers over SSH. It’s a port of GitHub - basecamp/...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews