mcrunix

mcrunix

Hi Everyone, I’m trying to use PGPool in front of a PG database and Ecto’s using it but all commands failed. Here are the logs that I figured out.

$ mix ecto.create
** (Mix) The database for App.Repo couldn't be created: command timed out

Also, I hit PGPool through postgrex directly and more info turned out.

iex(1)> {:ok, pid} = Postgrex.start_link(hostname: "localhost", port: 7432, username: "postgres", password: "adminpassword", database: "postgres", prepare: :unnamed)
{:ok, #PID<0.594.0>}
iex(2)> Postgrex.query!(pid, "SELECT 1;", [], [timeout: 20000])
** (DBConnection.ConnectionError) tcp recv: closed (the connection was closed by the pool, possibly due to a timeout or because the pool has been terminated)
    (postgrex 0.15.7) lib/postgrex.ex:249: Postgrex.query!/4
{"msg":"Postgrex.Protocol (#PID<0.596.0>) disconnected: ** (DBConnection.ConnectionError) client #PID<0.592.0> timed out because it queued and checked out the connection for longer than 20000ms\n\n#PID<0.592.0> was at location:\n\n    :prim_inet.recv0/3\n    (postgrex 0.15.7) lib/postgrex/protocol.ex:2838: Postgrex.Protocol.msg_recv/4\n    (postgrex 0.15.7) lib/postgrex/protocol.ex:1241: Postgrex.Protocol.recv_parse/3\n    (postgrex 0.15.7) lib/postgrex/protocol.ex:1208: Postgrex.Protocol.recv_parse_describe/4\n    (postgrex 0.15.7) lib/postgrex/protocol.ex:1028: Postgrex.Protocol.parse_describe_flush/3\n    (db_connection 2.3.1) lib/db_connection/holder.ex:316: DBConnection.Holder.holder_apply/4\n    (db_connection 2.3.1) lib/db_connection.ex:1257: DBConnection.prepare/4\n    (db_connection 2.3.1) lib/db_connection.ex:1250: DBConnection.run_prepare/4\n    (db_connection 2.3.1) lib/db_connection.ex:1262: DBConnection.run_prepare_execute/5\n    (db_connection 2.3.1) lib/db_connection.ex:1359: DBConnection.run/6\n    (db_connection 2.3.1) lib/db_connection.ex:557: DBConnection.parsed_prepare_execute/5\n    (db_connection 2.3.1) lib/db_connection.ex:550: DBConnection.prepare_execute/4\n    (postgrex 0.15.7) lib/postgrex.ex:235: Postgrex.query_prepare_execute/4\n    (postgrex 0.15.7) lib/postgrex.ex:247: Postgrex.query!/4\n    (stdlib 3.14) erl_eval.erl:680: :erl_eval.do_apply/6\n    (elixir 1.11.3) src/elixir.erl:280: :elixir.recur_eval/3\n    (elixir 1.11.3) src/elixir.erl:265: :elixir.eval_forms/3\n    (iex 1.11.3) lib/iex/evaluator.ex:261: IEx.Evaluator.handle_eval/5\n    (iex 1.11.3) lib/iex/evaluator.ex:242: IEx.Evaluator.do_eval/3\n    (iex 1.11.3) lib/iex/evaluator.ex:220: IEx.Evaluator.eval/3\n","level":"error","datetime":"2021-02-24T17:16:11.000088Z","function":"disconnect/2","file":"lib/db_connection/connection.ex"}
iex(2)>

PGPool Logs:

2021-02-24 17:15:51: pid 166: LOG:  DB node id: 0 backend pid: 9337 statement: Parse: SELECT 1;
2021-02-24 17:15:51: pid 166: LOG:  DB node id: 0 backend pid: 9337 statement: D message
2021-02-24 17:16:11: pid 166: ERROR:  unable to read data from frontend
2021-02-24 17:16:11: pid 166: DETAIL:  EOF encountered with frontend

Ecto Config:

config :app, App.Repo,
  URL: databaseUrl,
  show_sensitive_data_on_connection_error: true,
  pool_size: 20,
  timeout: 60_000

My suspect is on the incompatibility DB Connection module with PSQL protocol, Should be noted I tried psql 11 and 13 versions, all had same issue.

did you experience same issue?

Showing Posts 1 to 7

minhajuddin

minhajuddin

I would try connecting to pgpool from your server using psql. That should root out any issues because of IPs and what not.

mcrunix

mcrunix OP

@minhajuddin psql works well with pgpool

minhajuddin

minhajuddin

The next thing I would try would be to look at the logs on the pgpool side of things and see why it is closing the Postgrex connections. If that doesn’t work spin up Wireshark and look at the TCP stream and see who is sending the FIN packet (it’s most probably pgpool), if you know that pgpool is closing the connection you’ll have to figure out why it is doing that

mcrunix

mcrunix OP

Hmm. interesting, the last matched record(blue one) has FIN packet, and it’s from PGPool side. Could be related to pool mode(sessions, transactional, statements)?

minhajuddin

minhajuddin

It looks like your elixir process initiated the FIN, packet 1066. Try connecting directly to the postgres database first and see if you can recreate it. Try using a library from another language e.g. pg gem from ruby to rule out any misconfigurations.

mcrunix

mcrunix OP

I tried to test pgpool instance with ruby and node.js both worked and returned the desired result.

mcrunix

mcrunix OP

I’d like to put few other references which might be related.

Quote from Medium:

The migration was smooth, and the pgbouncer is the mandatory layer for the large scale Elixir deployment to handle the connections in a better way. We tried pgpool as well(to leverage the features like caching and the read/write split), but seems there is no official support from Elixir for pgpool. It gave some issues in our tests. So we went live with pgbouncer.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
Alvinkariuki
How Can I Optimise Compile Time Dependencies I have been building an elixir application for about 2 years now. Many modules and files ha...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews