bodhilogic
I’ve been playing with GenServer timers and what I would like to do is run a GenServer timer that, when it processes the handle_info() call, causes the web application to redirect to another page. A bonus would be for the redirect to happen only if the user has not interacted with the page since the timer started (i.e. clicking on a button or editing a field resets the timer back to time zero).
My problem is that the redirection requires the conn ‘object’ as one of the parameters but the GenServer, as far as I can see, has no way to obtain the conn ‘object’.
Is there a way to get hold of the conn ‘object’ from within the GenServer ‘processing’?
Or am I doing it completely wrong?
Thanks for taking the time to answer!
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex











Showing Posts 1 to 1- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
peerreynders
If the user doesn’t interact with the page then there is no HTTP request.
So unless you are using LiveView there isn’t anything you can do. The timer would have to be based on the client-side (i.e. the browser) and make a request when there is no activity.
With LiveView you would simply change what is currently rendered on the page after the timeout expires - but there is no redirect involved.
EDIT: I forgot about channels - i.e. you might be able to use them to have the server send a message (at timeout) to the browser and have some browser-based code take some action.