ryanditjia

ryanditjia

Hello everyone, when I run my unit test, I sometimes (not all the time) run into this error:

(Postgrex.Error) ERROR 40P01 (deadlock_detected) deadlock detected

     hint: See server log for query details.
 
 Process 11437 waits for ShareLock on transaction 56033; blocked by process 11436.
 Process 11436 waits for ShareLock on transaction 56040; blocked by process 11437.

The test attempts to insert 3 records:

work_orders =
  for _ <- 1..3 do
    {:ok, work_order} = Documents.create_work_order(attrs)
    work_order
  end

expected_counters = [1, 2, 3]
assert expected_counters == work_orders |> Enum.map(& &1.counter)

create_work_order is an Ecto.Multi that:

  1. Inserts counter to counters DB (business requirement dictates that counter restarts from 1 every year)
  2. Grabs the returned counter to insert together to work_orders DB
  3. Repo.transaction()

Is the above loop a bad way to test? Or is my transaction function incorrect even though it works (pasted below)?

def create_work_order(attrs \\ %{}) do
  counter_changeset = Counter.changeset(%Counter{}, attrs)
  work_order_changeset = WorkOrder.creation_changeset(%WorkOrder{}, attrs)

  Multi.new()
  # Get the next counter of the year
  # If year doesn’t yet exist, create one and set counter to 1 (database default)
  |> Multi.insert(:next_counter, counter_changeset,
    # If year exists, increment the counter by 1
    conflict_target: :year,
    on_conflict: [inc: [counter: 1]]
  )
  # Insert work order, with counter added to the changeset
  |> Multi.insert(
    :work_order,
    fn %{next_counter: %{counter: counter}} ->
      work_order_changeset
      |> Ecto.Changeset.put_change(:counter, counter)
    end
  )
  |> Repo.transaction()
  |> case do
    {:ok, %{work_order: work_order}} ->
      {:ok, work_order}

    {:error, :next_counter, _changeset, _changes} ->
      # Return work_order_changeset for more thorough field checks
      {:error, %{work_order_changeset | action: :insert}}

    {:error, :work_order, changeset, _changes} ->
      {:error, changeset}
  end
end

Showing Posts 1 to 2

kip

kip

ex_cldr Core Team

Have you configured the Ecto Sandbox?

It will isolate each test in a transaction and rollback the transaction so each test has a consistent view of the data. It will also make it much less likely you will encounter deadlocks.

ryanditjia

ryanditjia OP

Thanks kip. Yes, I believe this is Phoenix’s default, but I rechecked just in case. I also run into a unique index constraint error with another test but that’s rarer, I’d say 5% of the time, while deadlock is 10%.

Not a dealbreaker by any stretch of the imagination, and if it gets too annoying I can simply set async to false.

If you think there could be something wrong or missing with the way my Ecto.Multi is set up, please let me know, I’m new to Elixir and Phoenix and am keen to dive deeper.

Thanks again :slight_smile:

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
velrest
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI. Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews